Sunday 2 August 2015

A day out in Leicestershire & Rutland - July 30, 2015

There was a Muntjac on the road just after I had come through Cranoe and a Red Kite at the junction of the Harborough Road as I left Blaston.

At Eyebrook Reservoir the Little Owls still remained elusive but a stop at the inlet bridge produced a Kingfisher and my first here since November 2014.  The Shelduck and the seven young were still feeding in the stream but the only wader, other than a few Lapwings I could find was a single Oystercatcher.  There were two Lesser Whitethroats still in the same blackthorn bush as on the 28th and there was a single Yellow-legged Gull on the mud and a Common Tern over the reservoir.  There was a couple of Swift, ten Sand Martin and a House Martin feeding over the water but very little else.
At Rutland Water I went to the north arm and walked down towards the spit finding three adult and an immature Dunlin, a Common Sandpiper and a Redshank.  There was a second Redshank on the north shore and a couple of Common Sandpipers on the bund along with a Little Egret and another four Little Egrets in the fishponds.


A brief stop at the Egleton feeding station produced a Great Spotted Woodpecker and a Chiffchaff and a Treecreeper also visible from the screen and I saw another Chiffchaff as I walked to the northern lagoons.  I initially visited Shoveler hide on lagoon three where there was a sizeable flock of Tufted Duck amongst which I saw several Pochard and there was also Teal, Gadwall and Mallard as well as a single juvenile Shelduck.  A Sedge Warbler showed briefly just in front of the hide and a female Tufted Duck appeared with a brood of five tiny young.  A Dunlin also made a brief visit before flying off and after hearing an Avocet an adult and the two fledge juveniles flew from behind the reed island heading towards lagoon only to be followed shortly afterwards by a second adult.  I didn’t see any of then return but saw both juveniles and one of the adults back a few minutes later.


Female Tufted Duck and brood on lagoon three


Little Egret on lagoon three 


Yellow-legged Gull over lagoon three


Yellow-legged Gull over lagoon three

Feeling I had exhausted lagoon three I went to sandpiper hide on lagoon four where I found an Osprey on one of the ‘T’ perches.  There were two Oystercatchers on island four, a single Little Ringed Plover and seven Ringed Plovers on island one, a single Dunlin on island two and three Common Sandpipers that were quite mobile and scattered around the lagoon.  There were fewer Yellow-legged Gulls with only ten present but I suspect that some were off feeding around the reservoir and would most likely return later.

After some lunch I decided to go to the Lyndon Reserve and after arriving in the car park set off for shallow water hide, seeing two Chiffchaffs, a Willow Warbler and a female Blackcap after passing the path to wader scrape hide.  When I arrived in the hide there were two others present and it was much less crowded than at the weekend.  As I scanned the far shore I found three Common Sandpiper, three Green Sandpipers and a Greenshank and there was a single Dunlin on the near shore.  All five Ospreys were present but other than one of the juveniles flying off there was little activity.  Just after the couple left the hide and after some disturbance I found a single Black-tailed Godwit.  With little else I made way back to the centre calling at Tufted Duck hide on route to find the view partially obscured by a stand of reeds.  There was a Reed Warbler singing from the reeds and then I heard a Kingfisher call and found it sitting on a fallen branch just to the right of the hide.  I moved to that end of the hide and was able to get some good shots before it finally flew off in the direction of Manton Bay.








Kingfisher

Having reached the car park I decided to go home via Eyebrook Reservoir and was rewarded with eleven Little Egrets, a Black-tailed Godwit, a Curlew and a Yellow Wagtail and there were now three Yellow-legged Gulls resting on the dried mud.

The only bird of note on route home was a Buzzard perched in a tree just outside Slawston.

I had recorded eighty-three species during the day, which is pretty good considering I spent most of the day birding alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment