Sunday 16 August 2015

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - August 6, 2015

I went to the Lyndon Reserve at Rutland Water first this morning and as I was almost through the first part of the path a Great Tit flew into a bush to the right of the path and I then noticed a Lesser Whitethroat and Garden Warbler in the same bush.  I continued walking down the track seeing a Kestrel over the first meadow and when I reached the track to wader scrape hide there was clearly a number of birds in the vegetation.  I stopped to try and view what was there but they were playing heard to get and hiding amongst the foliage.  There were certainly a few Blue and Long-tailed Tits and I eventually saw a female-type Blackcap.  As I approached shallow water hide I saw another Blackcap and a Lesser Whitethroat and a juvenile Whitethroat.


There were just two Ospreys present but a third did return briefly during my visit, although when I finally left the hide they had all disappeared.  There were two adult male Ruffs with two Black-tailed Godwits just to the right of the hide and a Snipe was feeding amongst a party of resting duck.  Around the bay I also located a Common Sandpiper, five Green Sandpipers and a Greenshank and two Buzzards also flew over.  There broods of six, three and two Tufted Duck and eight Little Egrets scattered around the bay.


Male Ruff


Male Ruff

I called at Tufted Duck hide on the way back to the centre where there were two Little Egrets and a Green Sandpiper and I could see the Great White Egret in Heron Bay.  I saw very little else walking back to the centre and after a brief look at the feeding station made my way to the north arm.

There were three Common Sandpipers on the bund in the north arm but yet again there were fishermen on the point and so I walked to the second point where there were seventeen Little Ringed Plovers along with a Common Sandpiper and a Redshank and surprisingly there were three Dunlin on the point the fishermen were on.  There were three Curlew, along with another Common Sandpiper and a second Redshank on the south shore.  I found yet another Common Sandpiper on the north shore and there was a single Oystercatcher also on the north shore.  There was an adult Yellow-legged Gull on the north shore and I counted twenty-seven Common Terns feeding over the water.  As I scanned Burley Wood a Raven along with a Buzzard was observed.


Seven of the Little Ringed Plovers

At the Egleton Reserve the Birdfair preparations are moving on and I found Tim and Joe helping with the positioning of two portakabins at the entrance to the car park.  I continued to the centre to get some bird seed before returning to the car park for lunch, seeing an Osprey pass over the car park as I turned in.

After lunch I went into the centre to look at lagoon one but other than four broods of Tufted Duck just in front of the centre and a good number of Little Grebe there was little else.  I headed off to the northern lagoons seeing a Muntjac on the path close to the badger hide.  As I continued along the summer trail I found a small flock of birds feeding in the woodland and found Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler and Treecreeper amongst the more numerous Blue and Long-tailed Tits.

There was a Snipe and a Green Sandpiper on the area to the left of the hide and a Reed Warbler was observed just in front but there were only ten Common Terns feeding over the water.  A single Buzzard was also observed over the woodland just beyond the reed bed.  I moved onto Dunlin hide on lagoon four where I found three Ringed Plovers and four Dunlin on island one and a couple of Common Sandpipers on the western bund and island eight.  A single Shelduck was observed and there were twenty Yellow-legged Gulls to the left of the hide amongst the more numerous Black-headed and Great Black-backed Gulls and also a few Lesser Black-backed Gulls and an odd Common Gull.  As I left the hide a Green Woodpecker flew off the ramp leading to the hide.


Yellow-legged Gull

I called at Eyebrook Reservoir on route home and I stopped at the bridge where I saw two Green Sandpipers, a Greenshank and a Kingfisher.  From the northern corral there were three Oystercatchers, a Little Ringed Plover, two Ruff and a Curlew and I found a couple of Common Sandpiper at the island before heading off home.

No comments:

Post a Comment