Sunday 15 March 2015

A morning in Northwest Leicestershire - March 14, 2015

I had planned to visit the northwest of the County this morning and called at Cropston Reservoir first but there was very little, just a few Great Crested Grebes, Mallard and Tufted Duck.

I soon moved on to Swithland Wood and with the southern car park still closed I drove around towards the village to park in the northern car park.  I then walked through the wood almost to the southern car park and was rewarded with a Tawny Owl in the holly tree, two Great Spotted Woodpeckers observed and another five heard drumming, a couple Marsh Tits, two Nuthatches and two Treecreepers as well as hearing a Jay.


After my circular walk through the wood I headed for Swithland Reservoir and stopped on the course way where there were far fewer birds than normal and nothing of note.  The northern section was a little better with a drake Scaup, summer plumaged Black-necked Grebe, two Buzzards and a Raven being seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment