Wednesday 4 March 2015

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - March 3, 2015

There were two Buzzards perched in the dead tree on the approach to Cranoe and a Sparrowhawk flew over the road to the north just before I entered the village.

I approached Eyebrook Reservoir from the southern end as I was unsure if the bridge would be open as work was being carried out from the 2nd.  Three Tree Sparrows were observed near the old feeding station and a Red-legged Partridge was on the road before I reached the first bend.  I stopped to look over the bay where there was a sizeable flock of wildfowl that included Wigeon, Gadwall, Teal, Mallard and Tufted Duck and also an odd Great Crested Grebe and there was a Kestrel perched in a tree just inside the reservoir confines.  I continued along the western shore adding very little except for a few Pochard and Goldeneye.  On reaching the turn to Stoke Dry I could see that the road was open and that there was no sign of any work being carried out on the bridge.  I drove by the turn and continued to Stockerston before turning and coming back to view the old oak.  There was a Buzzard perched in a tree alongside the stream and there was c.300 Fieldfares in the field on the right amongst which I found three Redwings and the Little Owl was obligingly sitting in the oak.

I drove over the bridge to the eastern side where I counted fourteen Dunlin on the far shore amongst the Lapwing flock and saw a Red Kite to the northwest.  With little else in evidence I continued to the feeding station in the Stoke Dry car park but most of the feeders were virtually empty and very little was visiting, although a Marsh Tit came in several times.  I also scanned the flock of wildfowl between the car park and Holyoaks Farm but there was no sign of any Smew but just as I was about to leave a red-head flew in from the south.  As I left the reservoir a Red Kite was observed over Stoke Dry village.

I went straight to Dickinson’s Bay at Rutland Water in the hope of finding the Black-necked Grebes but there was no sign.  I called Steve who had also looked for them unsuccessfully and he also informed me that he had not been unable to find the Red-necked Grebe either.  There was very little in Dickinson’s Bay six Little Grebes, a party of Tufted Duck and a few Goldeneye on the water with Wigeon, Gadwall and Teal on the bank and a single Egyptian Goose was seen in flight.
I viewed the north arm from the end of the cottage road but again there was very little with three Barnacle Geese amongst a small party of Canada Geese being the best.


On checking the book in the Bird Watching Centre very little had been reported over the last few days and so I set off for Snipe hide on the Wet Meadow.  When I arrived at the hide there were sixteen Shelduck either on the flash or roosting alongside it and another two were on the wet meadow.  A Curlew was feeding quite close to the hide and I eventually found another four on the wet meadow along with two Oystercatchers and a Snipe and there was a third Oystercatcher on lagoon one.  There were also two drake and a female Pintail along with a couple of Shoveler on the flash.  A single Buzzard was also observed over Brown’s Island and a Little Egret flew in.


Shelduck roosting on the Wet Meadow


Drake Pintail on the Wet Meadow flash


Curlew on the Wet Meadow


Curlew on the Wet Meadow


Curlew on the Wet Meadow


Curlew on the Wet Meadow


Curlew on the Wet Meadow


Curlew on the Wet Meadow


Curlew on the Wet Meadow


Curlew on the Wet Meadow


Curlew on the Wet Meadow


Curlew on the Wet Meadow


Little Egret on the Wet Meadow


Lapwing over the Wet Meadow

From Snipe hide I headed for Shelduck hide on lagoon five and to view lagoon seven.  There was a single Shelduck and two Pintail on lagoon seven and from Shelduck hide I found another Shelduck and three Pintail.  I called at Mallard hide on the way back to the centre where there were five Curlew, which were then joined by another five, which were presumably the five I had seen earlier on the Wet Meadow.  There was also a single Shelduck and another ten Pintail and a second Buzzard over Brown’s Island.


Drake Mallard on lagoon five


Drake Pintail over lagoon five

Whist talking to Steve in the Egleton car park two Red Kites flew north over lagoon one.  Steve had seen very little during his circuit of the reservoir, a single Pink-footed Goose being the only bird of note.

After agreeing with Steve that it was obviously a quiet day I headed off for Bittern hide on lagoon three, seeing three Song Thrushes and two Mistle Thrushes on route.


Mistle Thrush


Mistle Thrush

On arrival in Bittern hide it was obviously very quiet on lagoon three with just another Shelduck being of note.  As I scanned above the trees I saw a Red Kite and four Buzzards but there was very little else and I moved on to plover hide on lagoon four.


Moorhen from Bittern hide

There was very little from plover hide and so I decided to go to Dunlin hide.  When I opened the flap at the end of the hide there were four Curlews on the bank and I then noticed a drake and a red-headed Smew to the left of island eight.  There was a second red-headed Smew in the centre of the lagoon and just to the right of the hide.  There was also a good number of Shoveler, with over twenty present, as well as sixteen Pintail and another eight Shelduck.  Two Ringed Plovers were observed on island seven and then two more, or possibly the same two, on the end of island nine and a Redshank was on island seven.  At least two Red Kites and four Buzzard were observed over Burley Wood, although intermittently.  I final decided I would call it a day and call at Eyebrook Reservoir again on the way home.

When I arrived at Eyebrook Reservoir the Stoke Dry feeders had been replenished and there appeared to be more birds when I first arrived but the only addition to this morning’s collection was a Coal Tit.  I drove around the northern edge of the reservoir and went into the corral at the northern end.  There were plenty of gulls on the mud and in the shallow water with all five commoner species represented but there was nothing unusual.  The Lapwing flock took to flight on several occasions and were joined by a party of Dunlin and I managed to count twenty-six, which was more than I had seen this morning.  As I looked down towards the bridge a Little Egret was still present and then I noticed a Barn Owl quartering over the meadow to the west of the stream.  It disappeared for a few minutes and then headed towards me passing within a few meters of the corral but I had left the camera in the car thinking as the light was starting to go there wouldn’t be any opportunities, how wrong could I be.  I rushed to the car hoping it might stay close or comeback but the next sighting was close to Holyoaks Farm entrance after of which it continued heading south along the bank.

The strong wind hadn’t helped today and with many of the Rutland Water wintering birds failing to appear it had been rather quiet and disappointing but the Barn Owl was a nice surprise and a good end to the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment