Friday 6 March 2015

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - March 5, 2015

I arrived at the northern end of Eyebrook Reservoir seeing very little on route and there was no sign of a Little Owl, although there was still circa seventy Fieldfare and at least five Redwings in the field.  I counted twenty-five Dunlin at the inlet and there were four Shelduck but very little else.  I found a drake and red-headed Smew closer to Holyoaks Farm but the feeders were again almost empty and there was little activity and so I set off for Rutland Water.

I arrived at Edith Western having travelled across country seeing a single Red Kite at Glaston but very little else.  I parked by the Sailing Club and walked the short distance to Sailing Club Bay where hopefully there would be some geese including a Pink-foot.  There were only a few geese, mainly Greylags but also a few Canada, and they appeared to be paired rather than flocking together and there was no sign of the Pink-foot.  I continued on to the dam but there were incredibly few birds in evidence a few Goldeneye and Great Crested Grebes with several Cormorants.


I continued my circuit and dropped down to Dickinson’s Bay but there was still no sign of the Black-necked Grebes.  I had noticed that there were plenty of geese on the Hambleton Peninsula from the dam and I therefore drove to the end and walked to the north arm after parking.  The geese were still present but all I found were plenty of Greylags and a few Canada and there was nothing of note on the water, although two Oystercatchers were observed.  As I walked back a Dunlin called as it took to flight and I expected it to fly off but it dropped down almost immediately and started to feed on the edge of the water.  I was no more than a couple of meters away from it and I was able to get some superb shots of it as it worked the shoreline.








Dunlin

As I walked back up the hill there was a flock of birds flew into the trees on the left of the path.  There were quite a few Starlings but also circa fifty Fieldfares but as I walked up the track they gradually flew back over the fields towards the north arm.  I had seen a Red-legged Partridge, which is a species I don’t see too often here, as I walked down the track but there was no sign as I came back.  I had a further scan of the north arm from just beyond Hambleton for the Black-necked Grebes but there was still no sign and so I went to the Egleton Reserve.

After a bite to eat I went into the centre to check the book to find that there had been an Avocet on lagoon one earlier today which had since disappeared and that the Great White Egret had been reported from the 360° hide late morning.  I set off to the 360° hide but there was no sign of the Great White Egret, although there was a Little Egret.  On lagoon seven I could see a single Shelduck, a pair of Pintail and two male and two female Goosanders and from Shelduck hide there were six Shelduck and seven Pintail.  With no sign of the Great White Egret I headed back and called in Snipe hide on the Wet Meadow.  There were eighteen Shelduck, six Pintail, another Little Egret and a Curlew on the meadow and two Oystercatchers flew over.  I then picked up two distant Red Kites and whist scoping them found there was also a Sparrowhawk with them.  As I looked away from the scope another Sparrowhawk flew from behind the hide and across the Wet Meadow and then landed on a fence post when I could see that it was a nice male.


Egyptian Geese over the Wet Meadow


Drake Shoveler over the Wet Meadow


Female Pochard on lagoon five


Female Pochard over lagoon five


Adult winter Common Gull over lagoon five

I made my way back to the centre and then headed off to Shoveler hide on lagoon three.  Other than a couple of Shelduck there was little else on lagoon three but I did see my first Buzzard of the day towards the new Volunteer Centre.  I thought that I could hear an Avocet calling and so went to sandpiper hide on lagoon four, which was pretty full, although I did see a single Avocet that was roosting in the shallow water.  I decided I would be better moving on to Dunlin hide to get a more relaxed view of the lagoon.  When I arrived the Avocet was almost directly in front and I did see and another two Oystercatchers, four Ringed Plovers, a Curlew and a Redshank.  There were also another twelve Shelduck and fourteen Pintail and I did eventually see a drake Smew beyond plover hide.  Just after leaving the hide a Green Woodpecker was observed but I had seen very little else before I reached the centre.  There was nothing new on lagoon one but a Barn Owl was then seen sitting on the next box to the left of the centre.  It eventually flew off towards the car park and on leaving the centre I saw it in the overflow car park before it headed off over the fields to the west.

It had been another mixed day with many of the wintering birds either remaining elusive or maybe departed.

No comments:

Post a Comment