Monday 9 March 2015

A morning at Rutland Water, Rutland - March 8, 2015

I was back at Rutland Water to day to help with the WeBS count.  Whilst waiting for the counters to assemble there was a male and two female Goosanders on the fish ponds and a Sparrowhawk flew over.

I was designated to count south arm three and lagoon one and was joined by Mat.  There was very little in south arm and certainly nothing unusual, although we did hear a Chiffchaff singing but were unable to locate it as it insisted in singing low down on the far side of a hedge, as it presumably attempted to keep out of the wind.

Lagoon one provided seven Pintail, an Oystercatcher, a Dunlin, three Curlews and a Redshank.  Erik called to say that he had seen the Great White Egret in Heron Bay and so having finished our count we set off towards Heron Bay.  As we started to walk down towards the bay I noticed something white in the bushes on the edge of the bay and suspected that it was the egret, which I was able to confirm with the aid of the scope.  We then went to harrier hide seeing two male and three female Goosander on lagoon six but other then four Shelduck on lagoon one we saw nothing else extra from harrier hide.  Whilst in the hide Tim called to say that the Woodlark was back in the meadow and so Mat went off to look for it has he had not seen it yesterday.  I called Erik again to let him know about the lark and he informed that he had seen three Green Sandpipers on lagoon seven and I decided to go and have a look for them.  I did manage to find one and also saw a couple of Pintail, three Dunlin and a Redshank.  I then called at Shelduck hide on lagoon five and found four Dunlin and a Redshank, which I assumed would have been those seen on lagoon seven.

Finally before going back to the centre with the count numbers I called in Snipe hide to view the wet meadow where there were fourteen Shelduck, three Pintail and a Little Egret.


I made my way back to the centre to hand in the count figures but unfortunately I didn’t have time to go and have another look at the Woodlark.

No comments:

Post a Comment