Friday 27 March 2015

A day at Rutland Water, Rutland - March 24, 2015

I went straight to the north arm at Rutland Water this morning seeing very little on route.  I parked along the cottage road and whilst changing my boots two Great Spotted Woodpeckers flew over but all I saw from the end of the road were three Shelduck and a Buzzard.  I therefore moved to south arm three and walked west along the track where I found the Slavonian Grebe fairly close in and was surprised to see how much it had changed since last Thursday.  I then found three Scaup, a male, an immature male and a female but there was no sign of any of yesterday’s Sand Martins.  I then noticed that the Slavonian Grebe had come in closer and so I walked further to try and photograph it and managed to get a record shot.


Slavonian Grebe

As I started to walk back I found a red-headed Smew, two Oystercatchers flew by and four Curlew were visible at the base of Lax Hill.  I called Terry, who was in the north arm, to let him know what I had found and he had found the two Pink-footed Geese and seen a couple of Sand Martins.  After getting back to the car I drove the short distance to the fisherman’s car park and scoped the far shore and found the two Pink-footed Geese resting on the grass bank with several Greylag Geese.  I then went back to the end of the cottage road but all I found was a single Redshank and there was no sign of the Sand Martins.  There were now four Ospreys back and so I remained in the north arm scanning Burley Wood in the hope that one might appear.  I saw a couple of Red Kites, two Sparrowhawks, at least six Buzzards and two Kestrels but there was no sign of an Osprey.

I eventually moved on to the Egleton Centre and started to walk towards the Wet Meadow when Terry called to say that he had found the Red-necked Grebe back in its normal place and it was now in full summer plumage.  I did an immediate about turn and drove the end of the Hambleton Peninsula, seeing ten Fieldfare in the field to the right, before I walked to overlook the north arm.  I couldn’t find it initially but eventually found it further into the north arm and what a superb bird they are in their summer glory.

On my way back to the centre I parked near the fisherman’s track and walked back into the south arm as Terry had seen several Sand Martins earlier.  I saw a single Chiffchaff as I walked along the back of lagoon three but there was no sign of the hoped for Sand Martins.

On reaching Egleton I set off for the wet meadow again seeing another Chiffchaff just after leaving the centre.  There were just eight Shelduck on the meadow and a single Pintail, another three Shelduck and fifteen Pintail were visible on lagoon one and I also found six Dunlin on one of the exposed areas of the long island.  As I left the hide two Chiffchaffs were observed trying to establish their territories with one either side of the path from the hide.

I continued on to Shelduck hide on lagoon five and viewed lagoon seven from the hide ramp before entering it but all I found was a single Shelduck.  From Shelduck hide there was a Little Egret and a Redshank on the close islands and as I scanned I found the Greenland White-fronted Goose feeding with some Greylag Geese on the top of the bank.  They were then disturbed by someone walking around the cycle track and came onto the lagoon when I had some nice views of the Greenland before they flew off onto the field behind the lagoon.  There were also two Shelduck and a single Oystercatcher on the lagoon.  I informed Terry about the White-fronted and decided to walk around to see if I could get any better photos, whilst it was in the field.  Although it was one of the closest birds it was a little too far away and seemed quite lazy as it sat eating vegetation just around it.  Terry and Mike joined me but as we were watching it we had the first of several afternoon showers.


Greenland White-fronted Goose with two Greylag Geese on the bund


Greenland White-fronted Goose on lagoon five

Terry went off to Snipe hide whilst Mike and I returned to the car park where I had my lunch before setting off to the northern lagoons.  As I approached Redshank hide on lagoon two another shower passed through, which was quite wintery, and I took shelter in the hide.  Another birder was in the hide and after a few minutes he spotted a bird of prey over lagoon one, which turned out to be a female Marsh Harrier.  I called Terry who was in grebe hide and was able to pick it up but a call to Tim didn’t have the same result as he was unable to find it from harrier hide.  As the hail and rain eased the harrier had gained height and was joined by a Red Kite and both were then watched interacting as they continued to gain height.  I eventually lost both of them and I presumed that the harrier had moved on.

I continued on to sandpiper hide on lagoon four where I joined Terry and we found twelve Shelduck, four Pintail, a Little Egret, an Oystercatcher, five Ringed Plovers, a Dunlin, a Snipe and two Redshank.  Scanning Burley Wood we saw Red Kite, Sparrowhawk and Buzzard but still no Osprey but the Sand Martins eventually gave themselves up and I had at least six.  Whist we were in the hide the worst of the afternoon weather occurred when we had a rather prolonged wintery shower, which brought down quite a few gulls but there was nothing unusual, with most being Common with smaller numbers of Black-headed and a single Lesser Black-backed.

At the first opportunity we set off back towards the car cark and I went into the centre whilst Terry went back to the north arm.  There was nothing new in the centre and so I also went back to the north arm and arrived just as Terry was leaving.  He stopped briefly when he found our only Goosander of the day, which was a female.  I had a coffee before I set off for home seeing nothing of note.

It had been a pretty good day as I had recorded seventy-eight species, which included a year tick, Sand Martin, and a County year tick Marsh Harrier.

No comments:

Post a Comment