Sunday 27 July 2014

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - July 22, 2014

I arrived at the southern end of Eyebrook Reservoir just before 08:00 where I found a Tree Sparrow and a Yellow Wagtail but there was little else of note with just a single Dunlin at the inlet being the only wader other than a few Lapwings.  There was an adult and a juvenile Shelduck at the inlet and five Common Terns nearby and a Red Kite and a Buzzard were observed.


On arrival at Rutland Water I initially decided to walk to snipe hide on the wet meadow where there was a Little Egret and a Green Sandpiper but there was no sign of any Wood Sandpipers today.  I continued onto harrier hide where I Sparrowhawk flashed by causing a panic of the few birds that were on the wet meadow.  With little else visible at harrier I moved onto fieldfare hide but there was very little on the main water.  As I walked back along the track from the hide there was a party of Long-tailed Tits and I stopped to try and see them.  As I watched two of them I also had a brief few of a warbler flash through the foliage and then found a Garden Warbler, which was my first in nearly a month.


Grey Heron from harrier hide


Peacock along path to snipe hide


Jackdaw from snipe hide


European Hare from snipe hide

I called at tern hide on lagoon six and found a female Tufted Duck with a brood of four close to the hide.  There was also a single Egyptian Goose and Oystercatcher on the lagoon and four Red Kites were observed in the distance.  Little else in evidence I moved on to the 360° hide.  Again it was fairly quiet but I did find a single Oystercatcher with a chick but worryingly a Red Kite was still circling the lagoons.  As I moved back along the track towards the centre a Red Kite flew over quite low being pursued by several Black-headed Gulls.


Tufted Duck duckling


Tufted Duck duckling


Female Tufted Duck


Female Tufted Duck with two of her brood of four


Red Kite


Black-tailed Skimmer


Ruddy Darter

During the walk around the southern half of the reserve I had also seen a good selection of butterflies and dragonflies that included a couple of Essex Skippers.

As I was having my lunch and considering going to Bloody Oaks, Bob returned from the northern end of the reserve but he hadn’t seen too much although he had seen an adult Mediterranean Gull on lagoon four.  Mike Chester then arrived and so Mike and I set off for lagoon four and decided to go to dunlin hide as we were likely to get a better view of the gulls.  I scanned the area on island one where Bob had seen the Mediterranean Gull and soon found sitting roosting amongst a party of Black-headed Gulls.  Whilst we were watching it, it stood up and moved about on several occasions and could easily have been overlooked as it often sat facing us with its head on its back and showing very little of the key identification points.  The larger gulls were resting on the islands closer to the hide and there was fourteen Yellow-legged Gulls amongst the Lesser Black-backed and Great Black-backed Gulls.  There were six Ringed Plovers, a Green Sandpiper and a Redshank close to island ten and an Oystercatcher on island one.  There was a large gathering of Common Terns on the exposed area between island nine and ten and I counted sixty-six with many juveniles.  Two Buzzards and three Ospreys were observed in the direction of Burley.

We moved on to shoveler hide on lagoon three where there were two Curlew and several Green Sandpipers.  I eventually counted ten Green Sandpipers and a Greenshank appeared from behind the reed island and a Snipe on the edge of the reedbed.

As I walked towards the centre I heard a Whimbrel calling on several occasions and it flew directly over me and off towards the east.  I wondered if it might have come down on lagoon one but there was no sign from the centre, although I did find another Oystercatcher and two more Yellow-legged Gulls.

No comments:

Post a Comment