Thursday 31 October 2013

Birding in Leicestershire - October 31, 2013

With a light south westerly wind I decided to go to Dean’s Lane to see if there was any visible migration.  I was there just over an hour but migration was slow with just a few Redwing and Starling moving.  I also saw a couple of Great Spotted Woodpeckers and ten Brambling feeding in trees on the slope of Beacon Hill.

At 09:15 there appeared to be nothing moving and so I went to Beacon Hill, where I saw very little the best being another fourteen Redwing.

Swithland Reservoir proved to be a little better as I counted twenty-two Mandarin and found two Pintail on the south side.  The Mandarin count was by the highest I had ever seen at this site, the previous maximum being just three birds.  On the north side there were three Goldeneye and a Buzzard flew over and I watched a party of Cormorants feeding.  It is quite easy to see why fisherman hate the Cormorant as the twelve birds must have caught over fifty reasonable size fish whilst I was observing them and were successful almost every time.


Having returned home Dave called to say he had a large party of thrushes near Great Glen and being just a few miles away I decided to go and have a look.  When I arrived some of the birds were in flight and it wasn’t too long before they all decided to fly off to the south.  Most were Fieldfare, which I estimated at one hundred with fewer Redwing.  There was also a Little Owl calling but I couldn’t locate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment