Monday 14 October 2013

A morning in Leicestershire & Rutland - October 11, 2013

I went to Rutland Water this morning as there was a Pectoral Sandpiper present from crake hide.  I went straight to crake hide in pretty windy conditions and found the juvenile Pectoral Sandpiper feeding alongside a Snipe to the right of the hide.  There were plenty of wildfowl from lapwing hide but all I managed to pick out of note were nine Pintail and a Yellow-legged Gull flew over.

There was a nice Black-tailed Godwit feeding close to shoveler hide on lagoon three but little else of note and lagoon four produced nineteen Egyptian Geese and four Pintail.  Back at the centre I found three more Black-tailed Godwits and a single Garganey, which is a good October bird in the counties.

I made a very brief call at Eye Brook Reservoir on route home where I counted twelve Pintail but little else.

After I had left Rutland Water there were six Gannets, an Arctic Skua and three Great Skuas observed and there was also another Gannet at Eye Brook Reservoir.

No comments:

Post a Comment