Wednesday 30 October 2013

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - October 29, 2013

I went to Newton Harcourt Church first thing this morning where I had a single Nuthatch, a couple of Goldfinch and a Coal Tit before visiting Rutland Water.

At Rutland Water I visited Normanton first but there was no sign of any Mandarin and nothing else.  The dam produced a sub-adult Yellow-legged Gull but nothing else of note and so I went to the north arm.
There were numerous wildfowl in the north arm, mainly Wigeon but I also found an adult and juvenile Whooper Swan and ten Pintail and the ten Barnacle Geese were in the normal area on the north shore.  A Peregrine flew over causing very little disturbance and four Red Kite and a couple of Buzzard were observed over Burley Wood.  A Great Spotted Woodpecker was also observed in a dead tree.  Despite an extensive search I couldn’t find the three Black-necked Grebes that were present yesterday, although they could possibly have been amongst the raft of ducks on the north shore.


I went to shoveler hide on lagoon three on the Egleton reserve where I spent the rest of the day in the hope the Bittern would oblige again today.  It was very quiet but I did find two male and a female Scaup amongst the raft of Tufted Ducks and I counted fifteen Pintail, although these kept coming and going.  A Buzzard was observed on the wood to the north and a Jay was seen briefly at the far end of the lagoon.  The only waders present were a few Lapwing and a single Redshank despite the water level being good, although I did have a brief view of a Water Rail.  A Sparrowhawk made a brief appearance as it circled over lagoon two as did the Bittern but as seems usual this month both Ken and I missed it again.


Little Egret on lagoon three


Little Egret on lagoon three


Little Egret on lagoon three


Little Egret on lagoon three


Little Egret on lagoon three


Little Egret on lagoon three


Gadwall over lagoon three


Female Pintail over lagoon three


Adult winter Common Gull over lagoon three

No comments:

Post a Comment