Friday 7 September 2018

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - August 28, 2018


It was a rather dull overcast day with light winds when I left home for Eyebrook Reservoir.  A Red Kite between Kibworth and Tur Langton was the highlight before I approached the reservoir for the north.

When I approached the reservoir, I continued along the Leicestershire bank and went into the northern corral to view the inlet.  The mud in front of the corral was devoid of birds but there were plenty of wildfowl, which were mainly Eurasian Teal.  As I scanned the Rutland shoreline I found a Black-tailed Godwit, two Green Sandpiper and three Common Greenshanks and there was also a couple of Little Egrets.  Having swept the Rutland bank I worked through the wildfowl, which included Gadwall and Mallard and also single Northern Shoveler and Northern Pintail.

From the corral I went to the bridge where I found a couple of Common Chiffchaffs but there was little else in evidence and so I drove around further and stopped to view the inlet again.  As I scanned the Leicestershire shore all I found were three Little Egrets and a further couple of stops before the Stoke Dry car park produced nothing of note and I headed for the North Arm at Rutland Water.

After passing through Preston I had what was to be my only Common Buzzard sighting of the day with a bird perched in a roadside tree.  I continued onto the North Arm and parked near Tim’s cottage and walked down the unnamed road towards the gate.  I didn’t see a great deal and after going through the gate found Steve and Terry near the spit.  They pointed out the Great Northern Diver, which was off Barnsdale and said there were a few waders on the north shore.  As I started to scan the north shore for the waders a Western Yellow Wagtail flew over.  I found fifteen Common Ringed Plover, five Little Ringed Plover and three Dunlin on the north shore and there was a Little Egret and a Eurasian Curlew on the south shore.  Steve and Terry then left for Frampton Marsh and just after they left I found the female Common Scoter that has been present for a few weeks now.  Eight Black-tailed Godwits then flew over heading east but then turned, coming back down the arm before veering off towards the reserve.

I walked back to the road and after a brief chat with Tim went into the field to view the fishponds.  There were two Little Egrets resting in the trees and I counted twenty-three Little Grebes.  I heard a Common Sandpiper calling on several occasions but never actually saw it and a Eurasian Jay flew over.  I heard a Great Spotted Woodpecker calling and found it in a small dead tree beyond the cottage before it flew and perched in another tree nearer the fishponds.  I stopped briefly to observe Tim’s feeders, which were empty, and all I saw was several Eurasian Blue Tits and a Common Chiffchaff that went onto the empty feeders.

After parking at Egleton I went to the centre and up to the viewing area to view Lagoon One but all I found were a couple of juvenile Ruff, a Snipe and six Little Egrets.  With nothing else obvious I decided to go to Fieldfare Hide where I was hoping there would be some good wader habitat.

As I left the woodland on the edge of Lagoon One I heard a Blackcap and whilst looking for this I found a Common Whitethroat, but the Blackcap remained elusive.  I went into Snipe Hide to view the Wet Meadow and was surprised to find that the flash was now full but there wasn’t a single bird and I was soon making my way to Harrier Hide on Lagoon One.

There was some good wader habitat in front of Harrier Hide but all I found was a Western Osprey perched on a post and a couple of Little Egrets and a Red Kite drifted over.


Western Osprey on Lagoon One


Little Egret alighting on Lagoon One


Little Egret over Lagoon One

From Harrier Hide I made my way to Fieldfare Hide where the water was quite low but again there were no waders and the best was fifteen Little Grebes and a single Common Tern.  As I made my way back a Western Osprey was observed heading towards Manton Bay and when I reached the centre I had a Marsh Tit and a Common Chiffchaff at the feeding station.

Whilst having lunch Andy and Roger Brett arrived and after a chat they went to the centre, but they hadn’t got much time and came back a few minutes later having seen a Garganey, four Black-tailed Godwits and two Common Greenshanks.  When I had finished my lunch Mike and I went down to the centre to try and locate the waders.  The four Black-tailed Godwits were soon found but there was no sign of the Common Greenshanks, but I found the Garganey near one of the nearer islands.  I then picked up two Common Kestrel over Lax Hill and shortly afterwards the Northern Lapwing took to flight but soon came down again and we couldn’t find any reason for the disturbance.  We were about to leave the centre when they took to flight again and this time they went much higher and as we scanned I picked up a Peregrine Falcon that then flew over the centre.

I then left the centre and headed for the northern lagoons and when I arrived in Shoveler Hide another birder said that there didn’t appear to be very much, however a female Common Goldeneye had been reported earlier.  There was plenty of wildfowl and so I scanned through them finding Gadwall, Mallard, Eurasian Teal, Common Pochard and Tufted Duck but not the Common Goldeneye.  A Common Greenshank was then heard and picked up in flight before it landed and then walked out of sight behind the reed island.  Gerry then joined us and shortly afterwards the Common Greenshank reappeared and was followed by a winter male Ruff.  Gerry went down to Northern Lapwing Hide to look for a Black Tern in South Arm Three and I went to Buzzard Hide shortly afterwards to get a different view of Lagoon Three.

I heard a Water Rail call on several occasions, but it didn’t reveal itself and when I looked back at the distant island all the wildfowl had come off and were presumably disturbed by the Great Egret that was now on the island.


Great Egret

A WhatsApp message from Gerry arrived indicating that he had found the Black Tern and so I set off for Lapwing Hide.  I met Gerry as I approached the hide who then gave me some idea where the bird was feeding.  I set the scope up in the hide and began to scan the area and soon found the Black Tern.  Gerry then came back in saying that there were two Green Sandpipers on Lagoon Two and went to the other end of the hide to find them and when he did I had a quick look through his scope.  I then found two female Eurasian Wigeon amongst the raft of wildfowl in front of the hide, which was the only sighting of the day.


Female Eurasian Wigeon

From Lapwing Hide I made my way to Dunlin Hide hoping for some gulls on Lagoon Four but when I arrived there were just a few Black-headed and Great Black-backed Gulls and other than a party of Egyptian Geese on the near island and two Western Osprey on the perch and nest there was little else.  The Western Osprey appeared to be a pair and was hopefully one of the unpaired males and a new female and not one of the breeding females hoping for a free meal.  If it is a new female, then she will possibly return next year and breed with the male.  I scanned the gulls before leaving and found a Yellow-legged and Lesser Black-backed Gull and two Eurasian Curlew amongst the other gulls.


Western Ospreys on the Lagoon Four nest

When I got back to the centre Steve and Gerry were there with Steve having returned from a successful visit to Frampton Marsh.  There were now five Black-tailed Godwits and five immature Ruff at the back of the lagoon and a Common Sandpiper on the long island.  A Eurasian Sparrowhawk then flew over the Brown’s Island and Gerry picked up two Northern Pintail near the tree in the centre of the lagoon.  I was thinking of departing when an adult Eurasian Hobby flew in front of the centre towards the Wet Meadow and finally Steve found two distant Red Kites over Lyndon.

No comments:

Post a Comment