Friday 25 May 2018

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - May 15, 2018


I left home this morning and headed for Eyebrook Reservoir seeing a Common Whitethroat near Cranoe and hearing a couple of Blackcaps before turning onto the north approach road to the reservoir.

A stop at the bridge produced nothing and although the water level is beginning to drop there were no waders on the small area of mud.  A Western Osprey flew over and headed south down the reservoir and there were fifteen Common Terns present but very little else.

I was helping with the wildfowl count this morning but there was very little in South Arm Three, but I did hear a Blackcap and a Garden Warbler near the Old Hall and there were twenty Common Terns feeding over the water.

After completing the count in South Arm Three I went to the Egleton car park to start the count on Lagoon One.  The centre wasn’t open until nine and with the  bright sun I decided to head for Mallard Hide and was joined by Mike Chester.  There was a Common Chiffchaff singing near the centre and when we got inot Mallard Hide there was a brood of five Mallard close to the hide.  Two Common Shelduck were the best of the wildfowl but a Western Osprey came over the lagoon and a second was observed over Lax Hill.  I heard an Avocet and then saw two drop onto the Wet Meadow and shortly afterwards Mike and I headed for Harrier Hide to complete the count.


Holly Blue


Pied Avocet

We saw a Common Chiffchaff and a Blackcap and heard another Common Chiffchaff and Blackcap and a Garden Warbler before reaching Snipe Hide.  The two Avocets were on the flash along with a Common Redshank and four Common Shelduck.

Warbler and a Sedge Warbler singing in the bushes between the path and the Wet Meadow and a Willow Warbler was heard as we approached Harrier Hide.  A Sedge Warbler was singing to the left of the hide and we observed two Western Osprey and two Common Buzzard over Burley Wood.  There were a few birds we added to the count figures but nothing of any note and we were soon heading back to the centre, hearing another Blackcap and Garden Warbler as we did so.

When we reached the centre, I completed the paperwork for the wildfowl count and Mike and I were joined by Steve in the viewing area.  I heard a Eurasian Reed Warbler singing just to the left of the centre but with little else Mike and I set off for Lagoon Four where Steve had seen a Grey Plover, Ruff and Ruddy Turnstone during his count.

We heard three Blackcaps singing, two Garden Warblers and a Willow Warbler before reaching the end of the Winter Trail.  We went into Sandpiper Hide where I counted forty-five Common Terns, four Eurasian Oystercatchers and four Common Redshanks.  I found a Dunlin and two Common Ringed Plovers amongst the stones across the far side but with no sign of the target waders we went to Plover Hide to get a different perspective of the lagoon.


The Drinker caterpillar

There was another Garden Warbler singing in the scrub alongside the track and another Sedge Warbler in brambles alongside the ramp to the hide but like most other warblers they remained elusive.

Once in the hide I soon located the Grey Plover and another birder found both the Ruff, which was a rather smart looking individual, and the Ruddy Turnstone.  There was an Avocet on the Lagoon, which was presumably different to those seen on the Wet Meadow and I also found four Common Ringed Plovers along with the Dunlin.

From Plover Hide I went to Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three and heard another Garden Warbler as I walked down the path to the hide.  There were four Common Pochard on the lagoon and I could hear a Eurasian Reed Warblers.  As I walked back to the centre there were additional Common Chiffchaff and Blackcaps singing.


Holly Blue

Steve had sent a WhatsApp message regarding a first-summer Little Gull and I also found out that he had also seen the female Ruddy Duck.  I spent a while in the hide before going for my lunch but there was no sign of the Little Gull but I did see the Ruddy Duck briefly.

After lunch I went back to the centre but there was still no sign of the Little Gull, but I did see a single Hobby towards Lax Hill.  I decided I would go to Lapwing Hide to view South Arm Three and left the centre and walked back to the northern lagoons.

As I was walking alongside the big meadow a Little Egret flew over and there was a Eurasian Reed Warbler singing as I started to walk down the path to Lapwing Hide.  There was no sign of the Little Gull and so I went back to Shoveler Hide to check Lagoon Three again where there were twenty Common Terns but no Little Gull.

The final possibility for Little Gull was Lagoon Four but all I found from Sandpiper Hide was a Barnacle Goose and a Common Buzzard towards Oakham.

I made my way back to the car park and after a coffee set off for home seeing a Red Kite just after leaving Billesdon.



No comments:

Post a Comment