Sunday 30 October 2016

An afternoon at Swithland Reservoir, Leicestershire - October 28, 2016

I went with Roger to Swithland Reservoir this afternoon as there had been a report of a Hooded Crow.  We arrived to find that it had just disappeared and after standing for a good hour around the wall with no further sign we went to check out the fields to the south of Kinchley Lane.  Whist we were checking the fields and the landscaped area of the quarry with no sign Andy Howes arrived and after a brief chat he continued along Kinchley Lane.  Andy hadn’t been gone many minutes when he called to say that the crow was flying around over the reservoir.  Roger and I got in the car and returned to find it was perched in a conifer on the far bank but after watching it for a couple of minutes it flew off and disappeared again.  We spent at least another fifteen minutes on site but eventually we left as I was hoping to beat the traffic as I crossed Leicester.


Although it wasn’t a County-tick for me the last one I saw in the Counties was at the same site in February 1976, over forty years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment