Sunday 30 October 2016

A day in northwest Leicestershire - October 26, 2016

I was on grandparent duty today and after dropping the grandchildren off at school I was required to pick them up again at 15:15.  As I was at my daughter’s I decided I would visit Kelham Bridge to hopefully catch up with Willow Tit, which I have only seen once this year.


I arrived at Kelham Bridge at around 09:25 and made my way to the first hide, where there is a feeding station that Willow Tits usually visit.  There was plenty of food in the three feeders but I was surprised to find no birds, as they are usually alive with birds.  As sat and waited and eventually a Grey Squirrel made a brief visit, followed shortly afterwards by a Great Tit but neither stayed very long and I suspected that something had spooked them.  Two Great Tits then made several brief visits and then I saw a Willow Tit but it was reluctant to visit the feeders at first but it did eventually.  I had some nice views of a single bird but there were very few other birds visiting the feeders.  The only bird of note on the pool was a single Snipe.


Willow Tit


Willow Tit

As I moved along the track to the next hide a Sparrowhawk flew along the path in front of me and on entering the hide I had fortunately opened the front and side flaps as a Kingfisher then took a fish and flew to the to the right of the hide.  As I glanced out of the side flap it was sitting on perch just a couple of meters away and remained whilst I fired off a few shots before it disappeared.


Kingfisher


Kingfisher

I had heard a couple of Cetti’s Warbler call and on seeing a small bird fly across the water into the reeds where I had watched the Kingfisher I had a nice, if brief, view of a Cetti’s before it disappeared into the reeds.  With just a couple of Little Grebes and a few Moorhen on the pool I made my way back along the track towards the car.

As I made way back along the track there appeared to be more birds and I had several Redwings and two Fieldfares fly over.  There was a mixed party of Blue and Long-tailed Tits in the bushes and I could hear a Goldcrest and whilst trying to see these I noticed a single bird perched on top of a bush, which turned out to be a Lesser Redpoll.

With still some time to kill I decided I would go to Swithland Reservoir and parked on the road overlooking the southern end of the reservoir.  I was surprised to find few wildfowl on the water as there had been a lot during my last visit.  There were a few Mute Swans, Gadwall, Teal, Mallard and Tufted Duck and two Shoveler.  There was also two Little Egrets but little else and so I drove to the northern section.

I stopped briefly at the western end of the dam where I heard a Nuthatch before parking at the eastern end of the dam.  The water level was quite low and this had attracted twenty Little Egrets and there was also seventy-six Cormorant, which is a good number for this site.  I was hoping to Raven during the visit and one performed several times during my stay and a Sparrowhawk and Buzzard also obliged.  Steve was also present and whilst taking we saw three Jays and a Grey Wagtail and thirty-two Fieldfare and a Lesser Redpoll flew over.

No comments:

Post a Comment