Friday 28 October 2016

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - October 11, 2016

Following a report of six Bearded Tits from Bittern Hide at Rutland Water I headed for the Egleton Reserve hoping that they might still be present today.  When I left home there was some quite dense fog but just after passing through Kibworth it cleared and there were some periods of bright sunshine on route to Uppingham. However just after passing through Preston the fog suddenly came down again and it was quite murky when I pulled into the Egleton car park.  The only bird of note on route was a Red Kite between Horninghold and Stockerston.

Whilst sorting out my gear and putting on some extra layers there was a Chiffchaff singing but it didn’t reveal itself.  As I walked to Bittern Hide on Lagoon Three I saw a single Redwing but hadn’t seen a great deal else before I reached the hide.  It was still quite foggy when I opened the flaps and I couldn’t make out very much on the lagoon as most of the birds were just vague silhouettes.  It was pretty quiet in the reeds and all I had seen when Tim joined me were two Wren and a Robin.  Tim didn’t stay too long but shortly afterwards Steve and Terry came into the hide but with the fog lifting shortly afterwards they set off to complete their normal circuit of the reservoir but not before Terry picked up a Curlew flying over.  I remained in the hide for quite some time after they had left and as the fog cleared found the female-type Marsh Harrier perched at the top of a bush.  It then flew across the back of the lagoon and came down the southern edge before landing in a bush to escape the attention of several Carrion Crows.  I eventually gave up on the Bearded Tits and suspected, based on the fact they were seen to fly off to towards Lagoon Four yesterday that they possibly didn’t go to Lagoon Four but departed.

I moved onto Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three where I found three Pintail and saw one of the Great White Egrets briefly before it flew and landed behind the island and out of sight.  From Buzzard Hide I had a brief view of a Kingfisher but found nothing else new.


I called at Crake Hide on the way to Lapwing Hide and saw a Kingfisher again and four Little Egrets along the bund.  There were plenty of birds from Lapwing Hide but nothing of note, although there was a good number of Great Crested Grebes.  Looking out onto Lagoon Two I found a just of Pintail of interest.


Duunock on the path to Lapwing Hide


Drake Gadwall from Crake Hide


Female Wigeon from Crake Hide


Female Teal from Crake Hide

I called in Smew Hide briefly where I had yet another sighting of Kingfisher and then I continued on to Sandpiper Hide on Lagoon Four.  There was a Shelduck just to the right of the hide and two Ringed Plovers and a Dunlin along the spit and I heard a Golden Plover calling but couldn’t find it.

As my annual parking permit expired this month I drove to the Anglian Water Visitor’s Centre at Sykes Lane to get it renewed and called at Whitwell as I came back.  Steve and Terry and seen a Fieldfare with four Mistle Thrushes in the car park and six Goldeneye just off shore but all I could find were the six Goldeneye.

I then returned to the North Arm where I had my lunch, whilst viewing the fishponds.  I found the female Ruddy Duck just before David arrived and after he had viewed it we walked out towards the spit.  It started to rain a little and so we went into the new hide to view the north shore, where we found a single Curlew and then the Whimbrel.  The rain had now stopped and so we continued out to the spit to view the rest of the North Arm and Steve and Terry joined us shortly afterwards.  They had found the Red-necked Grebe and possibly a third Black-necked Grebe in South Arm Three and had returned to make sure the other two grebes were still in the North Arm.  Initially we couldn’t find them but then David picked them up just off the point but other than two Shelduck and six Pintail we couldn’t find too much else other than  a Green Sandpiper flying over.

When we got to the Egleton Reserve David went straight to the northern lagoons, whilst Steve, Terry and I went to the centre to view Lagoon One. Terry soon located a pair of Stonechats and there were two Black-tailed Godwits and six Curlews on the long island.  As we went continued to scan the rest of the lagoon I counted seventeen Pintail but there was little else of note.

Steve then drove down to the northern lagoons, whilst Terry and I chose to walk.  David had called us to inform us that there were a couple of Golden Plovers on Lagoon Four and we met him coming back as we made our way down.  He hadn't seen too much else but we saw a Sparrowhawk over Lagoon Four and a Jay over the meadow whilst we taking before Terry and I continued onto Sandpiper Hide.

Steve then called to say that there were twenty-four Golden Plovers on Lagoon Four but Terry and I could only find four Dunlin from Sandpiper Hide so Terry decided to go to Dunlin Hide as he thought they were probably behind island seven.

I remained in the hide and counted twenty-four Pintail but as I scanned the gulls an immature looked interesting and so I joined Terry in Dunlin Hide.  The gull was still present and getting Terry onto it, his initial impression was that it was a Great Black-backed Gull but then he realised that the mental was showing grey feathers.  It clearly wasn't a Herring Gull, which left us with either Caspian or Yellow-legged Gull but we couldn’t decide and so I fired off a couple of shots to show to Steve.

Terry then called it a day and went to Shoveler Hide were I found Steve.  I showed him the rather poor photos of the gull but he wasn’t sure but considered Yellow-legged Gull to be the favourite as it didn’t look particularly long legged.  There was a Green Sandpiper in the corner but with little else we turned our attention to looking for the Bittern, which neither of us had managed to see, although it had been seen rather intermittently including at least one sighting today.  As we scanned the reeds initially there was no sign when Steve suddenly said I’ve got it and gave me directions saying its right behind that Mute Swan moving left.  I had the swan but couldn’t see the Bittern, when it suddenly became clear as it moved slightly.  It then remained almost motionless for five minutes or more before stabbing at the surface of the water and the disappearing into the reeds.

Feeling pleased with actually finally catching up with the Bittern, which moved my patch total onto 163 with a point’s tally of 206, I went back to Dunlin Hide with Steve,

I had seen two Golden Plovers flying over earlier as I had walked to Dunlin Hide to join Terry but like then there was no sign of any more.  As we were looking through the gulls we heard Golden Plovers calling and I picked up a party as they dropped in and counted twenty-two but it was possible that there were some still out of sight.  The immature gull was still present but was now sitting down and asleep making it impossible to identify.  I eventually left Steve and headed back to the car park


Early evening sun catching the trees as I walked back to the centre

As I approached the turn at the end of the big meadow there was a Long-tailed Field Mouse feeding on an acorn on the path.  I was quite close and expected it to run off but it continued to eat the acorn and didn’t move until I was inches away.  I didn’t think I would be able to get any photos as the light was very poor but fired off a few hoping that one might be ok.


Long-tailed Field Mouse


Long-tailed Field Mouse

As I moved closer it did scuttle to edge of the path and into the grass but then stopped and so I moved the acorn into the centre of the path and stepped back.  It came out almost immediately but went to original position of the acorn had been and then moved about looking for it prize, which it eventually found and after a short while it managed to carry the acorn into the grass and disappeared.


Long-tailed Field Mouse

It just goes to show that visiting a site regularly can always produce the unexpected and it brought an excellent close to the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment