Sunday 9 October 2016

A morning in Northwest Leicestershire - October 7, 2016

There had been a report of a Glossy Ibis yesterday and Malcolm called me early today to say that it was still present.  With some free time before I had to pick the grandchildren up from school I decided to go and try and see it.


I parked the car on Syston Road and then walked along the entrance road towards Upper Marsh where the bird was being seen.  I didn’t see a great deal walking along the path but when I reached the marsh found Malcolm and the bird still present.  The Glossy Ibis was feeding along the edge at the back of the pool but soon disappeared out of sight and didn't reappear during the rest of my stay.  There were four Snipe roosting on the edge of some rushes and I heard a Cetti’s Warbler call but other than a Hornet’s nest in the base of a tree there wasn’t a lot else.


Meadow Pipit


Meadow Pipit

Malcolm and I then walked back to the road seeing a Buzzard and a male Stonechat, four Snipe in flight and a flock of circa thirty Redwings flying over.

Malcolm and I then made a quick visit to Swithland Reservoir where we found six Mandarin Ducks, a single Pintail and a Water Rail.

No comments:

Post a Comment