Sunday 30 October 2016

A weeks holiday in West Norfolk - October 14 to 21, 2016

I left home with my wife around 10:00 on Friday the 14th for a week’s holiday with the family in West Norfolk but wasn’t too happy as there was a Siberian Accentor in Easington, East Yorkshire, which the crew were going for tomorrow.  We headed for Titchwell and arrived around 12:40 and after some lunch we walked along the west bank to the beach.


There was the usual array of waders on the Freshwater Marsh that included four Avocets, four Ringed Plovers, 100+ Golden Plover, a Little Stint, several Dunlin, forty-three Ruff and a few Black-tailed Godwits, Curlew and Redshank.  There was also Brent Goose, Shelduck, Wigeon, Gadwall, Teal, Mallard and Shoveler.  As I approached the far end of the Volunteer Marsh there were two Rock Pipits but they didn’t stay long and flew off towards the east.


Black-tailed Godwit on the Volunteer Marsh

There wasn’t much on the Tidal Marsh with a Little Grebe and Little Egret being the best.  On reaching the beach the tide was receding and there were plenty of waders scattered along the shoreline.  They were mainly Oystercatchers and Bar-tailed Godwits but there were also two more Ringed Plovers, a few Knot, a single Sanderling and several Black-tailed Godwits, Curlews, Redshanks and Turnstones.  I found a single Common Scoter on the sea and whilst scanning the sea I noticed a dark wader in flight, which then landed on the exposed rocky area, which turned out to be my first Purple Sandpiper of the year.

We eventually walked back to the centre and whilst my wife returned to the car I went to Patsy’s Reedbed as a Ring Ouzel had been reported in the field between the road and the reserve.  I stood by the gate overlooking the field and looked down the edge of the field.  Song Thrushes were dropping out the hedge quite frequently and also several Blackbirds and whilst talking to other birders to explain what I was doing the Ring Ouzel appeared briefly.  I stayed another ten minutes but there was no further sign but I did hear a Yellow-browed Warbler calling but it failed to materialise.

When I got back to the car it was approaching 15:45 and so we set off to our holiday cottage in Cley and arrived at around 16:30.  After unloading the car I went down the beach road to view the sea but it was pretty quiet with just four Gannet and a Guillemot being seen out to sea.  There was a Brambling on the landside of the shelter but other than a Little Egret and a Kestrel I saw little else.

I went down to the beach again at Cley on the morning of the 15th but again the sea was fairly quiet.  I did have two Red-throated Divers, twelve Gannets, two Ringed Plovers, circa thirty Dunlin, forty-seven Curlews and a Guillemot and the Brambling was still around the shelter.  I heard another birding shouting and looking back towards the marsh saw eight White-fronted Geese flying over, which were my first of the year.  There were two Peregrines on the beach that made the occasional sortie out to sea, presumably trying to take migrants, although few migrants were actually seen, with four Fieldfares being the best.  On route to and then back from the beach I saw ten Pink-footed Geese, two Little Egrets and ten Swallows.

Whilst having breakfast we were deciding what to do and my wife and daughter decided they would go to Holt but with news of a Radde’s Warbler at Morston I decided to go and have a look.

I parked in the National Trust car park and walked west along the costal path where I met another birder who had a grid reference for the bird.  We didn’t see a great deal as we walked along the path and on reaching the grid reference were surprised that there were no other birders in sight.  We were eventually joined by a few other birders and were obviously in the right area.  One of the birders played a tape of the birds call, which didn’t get a response but it did make me aware of its call.  Whilst talking to another birder I heard it call on two occasions and on walking in the direction of the call a bird came out a bush alongside the path and dived into some thick vegetation on the opposite side of the path.  It looked warbler sized and also rather dark and was possibly the bird but we couldn’t relocate it and another possible sighting had the same result, with the suspected bird just disappearing.  There were a few migrant thrushes in the area and I saw five Fieldfare and at least thirty Redwings.  A Merlin flashed through on the far side of the scrub and I managed to get a reasonable view as it went across a clearing.  After over two hours on site I eventual called it a day and decided to go to Wells Wood where an Olive-backed Pipit had been reported.

The parking at the beach car park at Wells is now quite extortionate being £8 for the day or £6 pound for four hours and so I decided to stay for just two hours, which is still £3.50.  I went down the left hand track on the south side of the Dell seeing just a Jay before I walked off into the Dell.  There were a lot of Goldcrests but I wasn’t seeing too much else and after observing a particular tree, which was alive with Goldcrests I found out that a couple looking at the same tree had seen a Firecrest.

I spent a little longer scanning the tree but eventually the Goldcrest moved on and there was nothing.  I did locate what were probably the same group of birds slightly further on but again all I could find were Goldcrests and I moved back on the path.

Several birders were looking in an area from the path, which again contained Goldcrest but also a Chiffchaff was giving nice views.  Several birds then flew into the top of a tree and I eventually managed to locate a Siskin and two Lesser Redpolls.  A tweet then arrived indicating that the Olive-backed Pipit had been seen near the drinking pool and so I went there with another birder.  When we arrived there was a small gathering of birders but the bird had been flushed and was now lost.  There were quite a few birders walking around the area and after twenty minutes with no further time as my two hours was coming to an end, I started to make my way back to the car park, seeing a male Blackcap on route.

It had been quite a frustrating day having only heard the Radde’s Warbler and just missing the Olive-backed Pipit, which was seen again just after I had left.

With a fresh south-easterly wind on the Sunday morning I went for an early morning walk along the East Bank at Cley.  Most of the birds were to the east and with sun just coming up it wasn’t easy viewing but there were plenty of Wigeon and I also saw Gadwall, Teal, Mallard, seven Pintail and Shoveler before I reached Arnold’s Marsh and twenty-two Pink-footed Geese flew over along with several parties of Greylag Geese.  When I reached Arnold’s Marsh there was clearly quite a few waders but due to the light they weren’t easy and so I walked east to get a better view.  There were plenty of Redshanks scattered around the marsh and I counted sixty-two Dunlin.  Whilst counting the Dunlin I also found a single Sanderling and a juvenile Curlew Sandpiper and there was also a single Black-tailed Godwit and seven Curlews.  I had seen three Little Egrets and three Marsh Harriers and heard a Water Rail as I had walked along the East Bank.

It had rained quite a bit during the rest of the morning but had cleared up by early afternoon and so we decided to go for a walk from Cley to Blakeney.  It was still quite breezy as we set off along one of the sea walls and a signpost informed us that it was three miles to Blakeney, although the villages are only about a mile apart the sea dykes are not in a straight line and consequently it is much further.

A Cattle Egret had been reported earlier and I was hoping to see it and my hopes were raised further when a couple of birders walking in the opposite direction had seen it amongst a group of cattle further on.  I had seen a Marsh Harrier, a Little Egret and a Yellow Wagtail but little else when I could see the cattle in the field but there was no sign of the egret.  The heavens then opened and we got soaked on the last leg of the walk.


Cley Windmill


The family on the early part of the walk


Greylag Geese over Blakeney Fresh Marsh

The wind was blowing the rain into our faces and when I reached Blakeney my trousers were soaked but I had fortunately kept the camera quite dry.  I found out that the Cattle Egret was still with the cattle and was visible from Friary Hills and so while the rest of the family headed for the pub to dry off I went in the other direction to see the Cattle Egret.

When I reached the top of the hill I scanned the area with the cattle and could see two egrets in the field, one was a Little Egret whilst the other was the Cattle Egret and another year tick.  When I got back to the road the egret was visible but it then flew off south and headed off in land.

I was now almost dry and joined the family in the pub before we started to walk back along the road to Cley.

There had been reports of a couple of Jack Snipe on the pool below Walsey Hills and so I went to take a look towards the end of the day.  There were at least seven Snipe on the pool and a Jack Snipe had been seen just before I arrived but it didn’t appear whilst I was there.  I heard a Water Rail and a Cetti’s Warbler whilst looking for the Jack Snipe and I counted twenty-two Black-tailed Godwits in the area of the Serpentine.  With no sign of the hoped for Jack Snipe I decided to take a short walk along the path to Blakeney in the hope of seeing a Barn Owl.  I drove back and parked near the entrance to the sea wall and then walked a short distance to view the marsh from the sea wall.  I could see an owl box out on the marsh and was convinced that a bird was sitting outside and so I moved a little further along the track to get a better and sure enough a single Barn Owl was surveying the surrounds from the self at the front of the box.  As I watched the owl a second bird seemed to appear from the box and almost knocked the first bird of the shelf as it dropped to the ground and out of sight.  It wasn’t long before the first bird followed suit and also disappeared behind the vegetation.  I remained for quite some time afterwards hoping to see them hunting over the marsh but neither reappeared and I eventually headed back to the holiday cottage.  A Peregrine had flown over along with a Kestrel whilst I was on the sea wall and six Swallows were also observed between the wall and the windmill.  Three large bats, which I couldn’t identify, were also observed.

Early on the Monday the 17th I went to the pool below Walsey Hills to look for the Jack Snipe again but there wasn’t any Snipe visible, although I did see three different Water Rails and there was also a Little Egret.  I then walked down the East Bank to Arnold’s Marsh and then walked east to get a better view.  Circa sixty Pink-footed Geese and seventeen Dunlin flew over as I walked down the bank and there were two Little Egrets to the west and as I neared Arnold’s Marsh a party of Canada Geese flew over with a single Barnacle Goose amongst them.  To the east I found five Pintail and three Ruff amongst the more numerous Wigeon.  There were more waders on Arnold’s this morning that included a Golden Plover, three Grey Plover, a Knot, twenty-eight Dunlin, five Curlew and twenty-seven Redshanks.  As I got back towards the car there were two Stonechat, one either side of the path but a further look on the pool for the Jack Snipe produced nothing and I returned for breakfast.

The family were off shopping at Burnham Market and Wells today and I was told I didn’t need to go if I didn’t want to as it would mean taking two cars.  I didn’t take too much encouragement and decided to have the day on the Cley Reserve.

After paying the entrance fee I initially went to Bishop’s Hide on Pat’s Pool but found it rammed and decided I would walk east to Babcock Hide.  When I reached the East Bank I went across the road to see if there was any sign of the Jack Snipe on the pool.  There were now a number of Snipe on the pool most of which were roosting but the second bird I looked at closely was the Jack Snipe, success at last.  I went back to the path and continued on towards Babcock Hide.  As I scanned the field towards Arnold’s Marsh I picked up a White-fronted Goose and on closer inspection I found eighteen.

When I arrived at Babcock I was surprised that the hide was empty but I was joined by another couple just shortly afterwards.  At first all I could see was a Little Egret to the left of the hide and five Curlews roosting on one of the islands.


Little Egret from Babcock Hide

I spent quite some time in the hide, which gradually paid off as more birds began to appear.  A Redshank appeared just to the left of the hide and then I found three Black-tailed Godwits and a Pintail further out and a further three Curlew flew in.  Four birds then dropped into the reeds to the left of the hide but disappeared immediately but a few minutes later two Barded Tits flew out and were then followed by two more.  As I continued to scan the small patch of reeds I found a Stonechat and a Reed Bunting and then I noticed a Snipe that was barely visible on the opposite bank.  The lady of the coupe then said she had a small bird feeding at the edge of some distant reeds.  I could see that it was a small wader but couldn’t be sure what it was and therefore got it in the scope and was able to confirm that it was a Little Stint.


Redshank from Babcock Hide


Redshank from Babcock Hide

Finally having exhausted the Babcock Hide area I walked back to the car park and after a quick bite went to Teal Hide on Pat’s Pool.  This was less crowded than Bishop’s Hide and there were plenty of waders of Pat’s Pool with eight-eight Dunlin, sixteen Ruff and eight-six Black-tailed Godwits.  I then noticed a single Golden Plover drop in and on closer inspection found fifty.

I moved into Dauke’s Hide to view Simmond’s Scrape where there were lots of wildfowl, which were mainly Wigeon but also Teal, Mallard and Shoveler.  A female Marsh Harrier constantly caused havoc as it quartered the area and at one point there were three, although the adult female was only one seen on most occasions.


Female Marsh Harrier


Female Marsh Harrier


Female Marsh Harrier


Female Marsh Harrier


Female Marsh Harrier

There was a juvenile Wheatear to the left of the hide, which came quite close on a number of occasions but the bird was constantly moving due to the harrier disturbance.


Juvenile Wheatear


Juvenile Wheatear


Juvenile Wheatear


Juvenile Wheatear


Lapwing


Dunlin and a singe Ruff


Moulting drake Teal


Grey Heron

After calling my wife and agreeing what time I would see them in the centre I walked back to Bishop’s Hide, which was still pretty full but I did manage to get a seat.  The birds were mainly the same as I had seen from Teal Hide but a second Little Stint and another Jack Snipe were new.

After spending a little time in the centre with my wife, daughter and grandchildren we returned to our holiday accommodation.

It was raining heavily on the morning of the 18th and I didn’t get out first thing but went out just before lunch.  I did a circuit from Cley taking Salthouse and Blakeney and was attempted to find Grey Partridge but failed.  I stopped initially to view the pool below Walsey Hills but there was nothing at all on the pool but I did count nine Ruff and twenty-five Black-tailed Godwits on the Cley Marshes from there.  I then stopped briefly at Salthouse to view the sea and saw a couple of Common Scoter and a single Gannet but very little else in the strong westerly wind. Once I turned inland I saw very little and returned for lunch.

At the end of the day I went to shelter at the end of the beach road but the wind was still a strong westerly with frequent showers and therefore not great for sea watching.  I did see eight Common Scoter, fifteen Gannet and a Guillemot and on driving back along the beach road found a Black Brant amongst a party of Brent Geese.

The forecast for Wednesday the 19th was for strong north-west winds and so I was planning to revisit the shelter early morning.  However there was a flood warning issued between Old Hunstanton and Cley due to a hide tide and the strong winds and so I had a change of plan and went to Sheringham.

I left in darkness and dawn was just breaking as I walked down to the shelter and found several birders already in position, although I got a seat easily enough.  It was still too early to bird but as the light began to improve the sea seemed pretty quiet.  I was there just under ninety minutes and although there was a steady flow of birds there wasn’t a big movement.  The only exception was a significant movement of auks with 500+ passing during my brief stay.  I did see three Common Scoter, a single Velvet Scoter, ten Red-throated Divers, a Sooty Shearwater, fifteen Gannet, a Red-necked Grebe, two Knot, six Great Skua, a Sandwich Tern, a Guillemot and a Razorbill.

At the end of the day I was back in the shelter on the beach at Cley where I had eighteen Common Scoter, two Red-throated Divers, seventeen Gannets, twelve Dunlin, ten Great Skua and adult winter Mediterranean Gull and there were c.150 Golden Plover over the Eye Field.

The wind was still a fresh northerly on the morning of the 20th and so I went back to the shelter.  I had a couple of Eider, forty-three Common Scoter, two Goosander, seven Red-throated Divers, seven Gannet, a Great Crested Grebe, four Arctic Skua, three Great Skua and four Guillemots, plus forty-eight unidentified auks.

In the afternoon we all walked down to the beach and my grandchildren tried flying a kite without too much success as the string got tangled in the high wind.  I went into the shelter and did a se watch as the wind was still northerly.  It wasn’t too successful but I did see the following; seventeen Eider, fourteen Common Scoter, five Red-throated Divers, a Black-throated Diver, thirty-five Gannet, a Great Crested Grebe, a Dunlin, seven Curlews and Arctic Skua and a few auks.

The walk between the village and the beach produced two Little Egrets and two Marsh Harriers.

It had been a good week as I had accumulated eight year-ticks but I was still obviously smarting in missing the Siberian Accentor, which remained until the 19th and with an initial erroneous report on the 20th I was optimistic that it might still have been there on Saturday.  The boys had also seen Pallas’s and Dusky Warblers on their trip to Spurn and despite having eight year-ticks I was still envious.

No comments:

Post a Comment