Monday 18 January 2016

A morning at Rutland Water, Rutland - Januray 17, 2016

I was returning to Rutland Water today to assist with the WeBS count and there was a good covering of snow that had fell overnight.  I left a little earlier hoping I would be able to get there but was surprised how good the main roads were and entered the Egleton car park ahead of schedule.

As there was still plenty of snow on the minor roads I needed a different strategy to count South Arm three.  I called Tim to let him know I was on site and that I would count South Arm Three and Lagoon One as usual.  I wanted to walk to Lapwing Hide, which has been closed whilst new screening has been erected but with the screening now finished except for a gap where Crake Hide will be repositioned, it was complete but still closed but Tim agreed it would be OK to visit Lapwing Hide.

As I was first onto the reserve the snow was still lying untouched except for a few mammal and bird tracks and looked stunning.







Egleton Meadows

There were plenty of birds in South Arm Three, mainly Gadwall and Tufted Duck but there were also Mute Swan; Greylag Goose; Canada Goose; Wigeon; Teal; Mallard; Pochard; Goldeneye; Great Crested Grebe and Coot but the best was a single red-headed Smew.  Whilst I was in the hide a Sparrowhawk flew just in front and disappeared as quickly as it appeared.

I walked back to the centre to count Lagoon One, which was partially frozen over but more so than yesterday.  There were only thirty-five Pintail today, which was fewer than yesterday’s sixty.  There were also Mute Swan; three Shelduck; Wigeon; Gadwall; Teal; Mallard; Shoveler; Pochard; Tufted Duck; Goldeneye; a Little Grebe and Coot.

Having completed the count of Lagoon One I headed for Fieldfare Hide to complete the South Arm Three count.  I saw very little on route but on reaching the hide there was 170 Teal as well as good numbers of Mallard and a few Wigeon.  There were also three Snipe amongst the grasses and a single Tufted Duck.


Lax Hill

With the counted completed I headed back to the centre and headed off home.

There was news of a juvenile and a third-winter Glaucous Gull at a recycling centre in Leicester and as it was almost on route to my daughters I persuaded my wife that we should have a look on route.  I wasn’t certain where the site was but as I turned a corner on Sunningdale Road it became clear where I needed to be as there was a mass of gulls circling overhead.  As I pulled up I noticed Brian with his granddaughter Rosie and Carl Baggott was also present.  As I got out of the car most of the gulls had disappeared behind the building and I learnt that it was only possible to see them when they took to flight and to make matters worse it was amongst the mass of gulls as I drove down the road.  Brian and Carl picked it up again but it disappeared almost immediately and I became concerned that I might not see it as my wife wouldn’t want to hang about too long.  However I biker then came down the road doing a wheelie and with engine roaring a mass of gulls reappeared and I then had reasonable views of the juvenile as it circled overhead for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment