Sunday 31 January 2016

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - January 28, 2016

I was a little late getting started today as I wasn’t feeling 100% but wilted as it was a beautiful bright morning.  When I left home the sun was shining brightly and the wind was a fairly light south-westerly.  I headed for Eyebrook Reservoir and saw a Red Kite just beyond Cranoe and on approaching the reservoir found a second perched in a tree and I wasn’t surprised to find the Little Owl in the old oak.  The wind had freshened a little but it was still a cracking in morning.  I stopped at the gate to overlook the fields on the Rutland side of the reservoir and found three Skylarks, which were my first in the counties this year.  At the inlet there were c.100 Golden Plover and at least thirty-four Dunlin amongst the more numerous Lapwings and a single Little Egret was on the stream and there were a couple of Buzzards to the east of the reservoir.  It was difficult viewing the wildfowl to the south of Stoke Dry car park due to the bright sunshine and the only birds of note were three Shelduck.

I went straight to the fisherman’s car park on the Hambleton Peninsula at Rutland Water in the hope of finding the Red-necked Grebe.  I soon located the Slavonian Grebe and four Black-necked Grebes but couldn’t find the Red-necked Grebe although a Raven was observed towards Hambleton.  I moved back to view the arm from then end of the unnamed road and I saw Tim as I arrived who informed me that the Red-necked Grebe was showing quite well along with the adult Great Northern Diver from the end of the spit.  When I got to the end there were quite a few birders including Mike Chester and Gerry Griffiths.  They had both seen the Great Northern Diver and Red-necked Grebe and after finding the Slavonian Grebe for Mike I soon found the Great Northern Diver but the Red-necked Grebe had clearly moved.  Gerry then found it towards Dickinson’s Bay but it dived and it was a few minutes later before I actually found it as it had moved further away from the shore and was heading towards the centre of the reservoir.  When another birder arrived at little late we were unable to locate again despite spending quite some time looking for it.

I eventually gave up and went to the Egleton car park where I had lunch before heading off to the northern lagoons.  When I arrived at Shoveler hide on Lagoon Three Gerry was in the hide but had seen very little, although a Bittern had been reported around mid-day.  There were three Shelduck and a couple of Egyptian Geese on the lagoon but very little else, although I did pick up a Buzzard over the reedbed woodland and a second off towards Hambleton.


Shelduck on Lagoon Three

I moved on to Plover Hide to view Lagoon Four and found another Shelduck and a red-headed Smew.  There was a small concentration of gulls, mainly Common and Herring but there were also a few Black-headed and Great Black-backed and a single Lesser Black-backed.  When Gerry joined me he found a second red-headed Smew but with little else we called at Bittern Hide where we found a Little Egret and a Cormorant.


Cormorant from Bittern Hide


Cormorant from Bittern Hide


Little Egret from Bittern Hide

Gerry left with intention of heading towards the southern lagoons but we both finished up viewing Lagoon One from the centre before he continued to the southern lagoons and I called it a day.  There was a juvenile female Peregrine resting on the long island, which was presumably the bird that I have observed a few times on Lagoon Four.  There were six Shelduck feeding on the lagoon but there were only eighteen Pintail today.  I found a Buzzard sitting in the poplars on Brown’s Island and there was a female Goosander on one of the small island and a second flew over but other than four Pochard there was little else.

No comments:

Post a Comment