Monday 11 January 2016

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - January 9, 2016

The weather forecast this morning was for showers dying out before a more persistent band of rain was due to arrive late afternoon.  When I left home it was dry but overcast but the wind was a fairly light southerly.  I headed for Eyebrook Reservoir but just before I reached the reservoir it rained rather heavily and I waited in the car until it had stopped before walking up to the fishing lodge.  I saw very little of note before reaching the lodge and continued on down to the out flow where I found that there was plenty of water flowing out with the runaway was pretty full and the water flowing very fast.  There was no sign of the hoped for Grey Wagtail and other than a Song Thrush I saw nothing else.

As I started to make my way back I met Terry who had seen two drake Smew fly into the corner near the lodge but when we walked around to look there was no sign.  Another birder then arrived who had seen them fly off towards the far shore and when he looked for them he found three males together and few minutes later he found the female Red-breasted Merganser, which was also towards the far shore.  Terry and I then walked back to the gate but other than a couple of distant Red Kites we saw nothing else of note.

Terry went off to check out the Welland Valley whilst I continued around the reservoir but care is needed now when parking as the verges are very soft and it would be easy to get stuck.  I parked near the gate overlooking the bay north of the island and found the Slavonian Grebe, which was providing some nice views but with rain falling again I moved on to the bridge over the inlet.

Other than a Little Egret there was nothing else of note from the bridge and I joined Roger at the Stoke Dry car park but we couldn’t find the reported red-headed Smew but I did pick up a Sparrowhawk on the far bank before we eventually decided to head for the Lyndon Centre at Rutland Water.

It was dry when we arrived at the centre and the feeders were full and there was a steady stream of tits coming and going, mainly Blue and Great but also three Coal Tits.  There was also a Robin, Dunnock and a Chaffinch showing some interest but nothing else.  Roger then said “Sparrowhawk” as a bird flashed across the front before heading off behind the centre.  I didn’t see the bird at all and after it had gone Roger began to doubt his initial identification as the bird was showing a strong facial pattern.

We eventually gave up and set off for the Egleton Reserve and as I turned on to the Lyndon Road I noticed a bird at the top of a tree on the left of the road.  It soon became obvious that it was a male Peregrine but I couldn’t stop due to other traffic and continued on to the Egleton car park.  Roger soon followed me into the car park and he had also seen the Peregrine and felt it was perhaps the bird he had seen to flash in front of the Lyndon Centre.  As we discussed the possibility it began to rain rather heavily again and so we decided to take an early lunch.

The rain eased as we finished our lunch and after a brief chat with Rick we went to the centre.  The water level had risen further on Lagoon One but there were still forty four Pintail on the lagoon and I found one of the Great White Egrets on lagoon two, which then flew in front of the centre and headed off towards Manton Bay.  There was also three Shelduck on the lagoon with another two visible on the Wet Meadow flash and two Curlews were feeding between Lagoon One and the Wet Meadow.

Roger and I then set off to Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three but had seen very little before we entered the hide.  Other than a Redshank to the left of the hide there was very little else but just after Rick and Graham arrived Rick noticed a Snipe on the edge of the reed island.  I got my scope on it as Steve had seen a Jack Snipe in this area on the 1st but it was just a Snipe as were two others that were with it.  A Little Egret flew in front of the hide and a Shelduck dropped in behind the reed island before we left for Sandpiper Hide on Lagoon Four.

There were four more Pintail and another Shelduck on the lagoon and as I scanned the small concentration of gulls near Island Eight I found a rather smart looking white-headed Herring-type gull in the water.  Its bill looked rather long and parallel sided, suggesting it might be an adult Caspian Gull.  The head looked rather small and the forehead sloped towards the rather rounded crown and the eye, just forward of centre was dark.  Although there was no other Herring-type gulls present for direct comparison both Roger and I were happy that it was indeed an adult Caspian, which was reinforced as it raised its wings and revealed the extensive white tip to primary ten, with primary nine also showing plenty of white with a noticeable black band near the tip.

Roger needed to get home early today and I decided that I would go back with him to the car park and then go and have a look in the north arm before returning to view the gulls later in the afternoon.  As we approached the end of the woodland alongside the large meadow we found a Great Spotted Woodpecker and at the end found circa thirty Siskin feeding in the alders.  There was a second Great Spotted Woodpecker near the Badger Hide and just beyond I heard a Marsh Tit call, which then came quite close before heading off towards the feeding station.

When I reached the north arm Colin and Chris were there and they had already located the Red-necked Grebe and the two Black-necked Grebes, which made it very easy for me and an Oystercatcher was a nice surprise being only my third January record for the Counties.  There was also two drake Goosanders in the fishponds, a Little Egret on the north shore and two Redshanks on the south shore.

On returning to the Egleton Reserve I went to Dunlin Hide on Lagoon Four to be closer to the gulls and on opening the hide flaps there were two red-headed Smew right in front.  I was joined in the hide by Brian, his granddaughter Rosie and Roger Brett but unfortunately most of the gulls decided to assemble at the back of the lagoon and were rather distant.  We did locate several white-headed Herring-type gulls and whilst identifying one as a Herring Gull we were unsure about the others but I strongly suspected at least one was a Yellow-legged Gull.

Despite the earlier rather disappointing weather it had been a good days birding with seventy-two species recorded of which two, Sparrowhawk and Caspian Gull, were new for the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment