Friday 22 January 2016

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - January 19, 2016

I left home this morning heading for Eyebrook Reservoir in subzero temperatures with the temperature dropping to -3.5°C on route but the sunrise was rather spectacular.


Sunrise

Just after passing Stonton Wyville there was a Barn Owl flying rather high to the north of the road and then I had two Red Kites before reaching Eyebrook Reservoir, one over Cranoe and the other alongside Stockerston lane.

When I reached the reservoir I parked near the entrance to the fishing lodge and then walked to and beyond the dam hoping for a Grey Wagtail.  As I walked out there was a party of Fieldfare and Redwings feeding between the path and the reservoir, along with several Blackbirds and a single Song Thrush.  On reaching the outflow there was no water flowing from the reservoir but there was no sign of any Grey Wagtails.

As I walked back I had better views of the party of thrushes and clearly Redwings were the most numerous and I also had a Green Woodpecker.  I scanned the water looking for the Slavonian Grebe without any joy, although it was seen later in the day.  As I went through the more common wildfowl I found the first-winter Little Gull, that has been present, intermittently, since the 1st, resting on the water.

I moved on and checked the northern bay but there was nothing of note but found one of the Little Owls in the Old Oak.  I went back to the bridge where I counted fifteen Snipe in flight.  With little else I drove to the gate where Roger and I had seen all the Yellowhammers on Saturday but today it was very quiet and didn’t see a single passerine.  Moving a little further along there were thirty-six Dunlin feeding on the exposed mud and there was also a few Snipe feeding nearby and single Golden Plover amongst the Lapwings.  My final stop was at the Stoke Dry car park where I saw two male and two red-headed Smew.

I headed for the Lyndon Reserve at Rutland Water and as I turned to go down the centre seven birds flushed from the roadside and landed in the hedge and I was able to see that they were Lesser Redpoll.

At the centre I checked the feeders but they were pretty quiet with just a few Blue and Great Tits.  I decided to walk to Wader Scrape Hide but saw very little on route and found that Manton Bay was almost completely frozen over.  On the free water there were plenty of Teal with a few Shoveler and eleven Shelduck and two male Goosanders.  Looking in the other direction towards South Arm Two, which was mainly free of ice I could see another two Shelduck in Heron Bay and in the south arm there were twenty-six Pochard, three red-headed Smew and another two drake Goosander.  The walk back produced nothing of note and I so I headed off to the north arm finding the top field covered in winter thrushes, most of which were Redwing with just a few Fieldfares.


Greylag Geese to the south of the path at Lyndon


Canada Goose over the meadows at Lyndon

On reaching the North Arm I found three male and six female Goosanders in the fishponds where most of the water was frozen over.  I soon found the two Black-necked Grebes but other than a single Pochard there was little else of note.  When I got back to the car I was joined by Brian, Roger and Mike and Roger found a single Redshank on the north shore of the fishponds a female Stonechat near the far side of the bund.  Whilst we watched the Stonechat it dropped from its perch and we were then unable to relocate it despite all four of us looking.  I suspect that it was the same bird reported by Steve and Terry last week that hadn’t been seen since, which based on today’s behaviour wasn’t surprising.

Mike and I went to the Egleton car park where we had some lunch before going to view Lagoon One from the centre.  It was pretty much frozen over with just one piece of open water that contained several Gadwall and Coot and a single Little Grebe.  There were five Shelduck along with several Shoveler resting on the ice, a single Buzzard was perched on the Osprey platform on Brown’s Island and twelve Curlew flew in.


Robin in the Egleton car park


Fieldfare in the Egleton Meadows


Redwing in the Egleton Meadows

Brian and Roger had joined Mike and I in the centre and we walked together to Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three with brief views of a Great Spotted Woodpecker being the highlight as we did so.

On reaching the hide we found the lagoon virtually frozen over with very few birds.  There was a single Shelduck on a small area of water, two Snipe on the edge of the distant reedbed and a Green Sandpiper flew over.


Wigeon over Lagoon Three

When Steve and Terry arrived in the hide we all went down to Lapwing Hide, although the path wasn’t strictly open Lloyd had indicated it wouldn’t be a problem.  There were plenty of bird on the water, mainly Tufted Duck but there were also forty-six Pintail, which had obviously come off Lagoon One and eight Pochard.

We all eventually went to Dunlin Hide on Lagoon Four to check out the gulls.  We had a Green Woodpecker as we approached the hide and on entering the hide found the juvenile female Peregrine perched on Island One sign post.  There were twelve Shelduck on the lagoon and with one arriving during our stay it is possible that they were coming onto the lagoon to roost.  The concentration of gulls were closer today as they were resting on the ice with good numbers of the larger gulls, mainly Herring and Great Black-backed but there were also at least five Lesser Black-backed.  There were far fewer Black-headed and Common Gulls than of late and presumably they were assembling elsewhere.  Steve then located a forth-winter Caspian Gull that provided some nice views and Brian possibly had a first-winter Mediterranean Gull but after taking his eye of it to view the Caspian couldn’t relocate.  Terry and Mike had left a little earlier and I walked back to the car park with Brian and Roger, leaving Steve sticking it out to the bitter end.

It hadn’t been a bad day’s birding with Little Gull added to my year list and Stonechat to my counties year list.

No comments:

Post a Comment