Sunday 24 January 2016

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland and Cambridgeshire - January 23, 2016

With David away on holiday and Roger only out for the morning I left home on my own for Eyebrook Reservoir.  There was a light south westerly breeze and it was overcast but there had been no overnight frost and the visibility was good.  After passing through Kibworth there was a Buzzard perched to the right and after just passing Stonton Wyville ten partridge flew over the road and landed.  My first impression was that they were Grey Partridge, which are not a common sight in Leicestershire and so I stopped and scanned the field.  There was a crop sufficiently high enough to hide the birds but one fortunately was standing erect and I was able to confirm my initial identification and they were Grey Partridges.  There was a Kestrel just after Cranoe and another Buzzard just after Horninghold.

As I approached Eyebrook Reservoir I checked the old oak but there were no Little Owls this morning but there was a sizeable flock of winter thrushes in the field, which were mainly Fieldfare but also a few Redwing.  When I parked at the bridge it had become quite foggy but I did see a couple of Snipe landing at the edge of the stream but other than a few common passerines there was little else and I moved on to the gate overlooking the fields to the east.  With nothing visible in the fields I moved a little further to view the inlet where I counted 103 Golden Plovers and thirty-eight Dunlin.  There was another Snipe on the edge of some Juncus and a Redshank feeding on the Leicestershire bank.  There were plenty of birds on the water off the Stoke Dry car park and so I moved on to take a look.

Roger then called to say he was on his way but as I hadn’t seen too much at Eyebrook Reservoir we agreed to meet in the North Arm at Rutland Water.  However a few minutes later I had to call him back as I found the first-winter Little Gull resting on the water.  I continued to scan the water whilst waiting for Roger and found three male and three red-headed Smew and had brief views of a Raven to the north.  I had been joined by another birder when Roger arrived and we had been watching the Little Gull just a few minutes before he arrived but now couldn’t find it.  Roger did eventually find it nearer to the inlet but we then lost it again and couldn’t relocate it.

I left Roger searching for the Little Gull and headed for the North Arm at Rutland Water where it was still quite foggy towards Burley but fairly clear across the water.  I had found the two Barnacle Geese, doing their best to hide amongst a party of Canada Geese, and a Redshank on the north shore of the fishponds by the time Roger arrived.  When we had finished scanning the fishponds we walked down through the gate to view the north arm and I soon located the four Black-necked Grebes that Steve had reported yesterday and started to search for the Red-necked Grebe, which had also reappeared yesterday.  Roger then said that there were five grebes and he thought one might be a Slavonian.  I went back to look at the grebes and agreed that his identification was correct and that the fifth bird was in fact a Slavonian Grebe.  I found a couple of Pintail whilst scanning for the Red-necked Grebe but we couldn’t find it and decided to go to the fisherman’s car park and have a look from there.  We still couldn’t find the grebe but I did locate a drake Scaup just off the car park and the adult Great Northern Diver off Barnsdale.

We eventually gave up on the grebe and went to the Egleton car park for some lunch before Roger and I went to view Lagoon One where I counted twenty-five Pintail and fifty-seven Golden Plover but there was nothing else of interest.

I had decided that I would go to Eldernell this afternoon and left the reserve shortly after Roger and set off for the northern lagoons.  I had three Red Kites, a Buzzard and a Kestrel before I reached Eldernell and the car park quite full when I arrived.  To my surprise Malcolm was in the car park as was Stephen, one of the volunteers at Rutland Water.  Malcolm had been in the area all day and had seen both Bewick’s Swan and Crane, which were two of the birds I was hoping to see.  However he had seen the swans off the A605 but Stephen and another birder who had looked later couldn’t find them and so I decided to stay in the car park.

I picked up a Marsh Harrier almost straight away but couldn’t locate the two Cranes in the area where they had been seen.  There was a party of Whooper Swans partially hidden to the north with some occasionally taking to flight.  It was while following two in the scope that I found the two Cranes but again, like the swans they were partially hidden by the vegetation and not always visible.  Another birder, who had just arrived, picked up a Short-eared Owl that wasn’t too far away and provided some nice views as it quartered the area.  During visit I saw four Marsh Harriers, a Sparrowhawk, a Buzzard, three Kestrel and four Short-eared Owls.  There was also c.2000 Golden Plover and thousands of wildfowl, mainly Wigeon but also good numbers of Shoveler and smaller numbers of Mallard and Pintail.



Male Kesteel at Eldernell

I recorded seventy-four species during the day, which included one additional to the year list, Crane, taking the total to 134.  I also added Grey Partridge to my counties year list, which now stands at 106 and added three to my patch list at Rutland Water that is now at ninety with a score of 103.

No comments:

Post a Comment