Monday 31 March 2014

A half-day’s birding in Leicestershire & Rutland - March 28, 2014

I went out today with the intention of staying out all day but I returned home early as my daughter wanted some help.

I had seen a couple of Buzzards, one near Stanton Wyville and the other near Cranoe and a Red Kite and Marsh Tit near Blaston on route to Eyebrook Reservoir.  Eyebrook Reservoir was relatively quiet with just five Shelduck being of interest.

After visiting the dam at Rutland Water, with nothing to show I went to the north arm where I found a single summer plumage Black-necked Grebe but there was no sign of any of the Long-tailed Ducks or Slavonian Grebe.  There were six Shelduck and a single Redshank around the shore line also two Red Kites and four Buzzards over Burley Wood.  On reaching the reserve I went straight to lagoon three where I found an adult Little Gull amongst the numerous Black-headed Gulls feeding over the water.  It was still in winter plumage although the head was showing signs of the hood developing.  I called Steve who was also at Rutland Water to inform him of the Little Gull as it was the first within the counties this year.  He had seen a few Sand Martins and a single Swallow in Dickinson’s Bay and heard single Blackcaps near the Tim’s cottage and at Barnsdale.  Just after speaking to Steve I had a Sparrowhawk over the Hambleton Peninsular.

I moved onto plover hide on lagoon four where I found four Oystercatchers, two Avocets, four Ringed Plovers, nine Dunlin, a Black-tailed Godwit and five Redshanks and there was also thirteen Shelduck on the lagoon.


Mute Swan on lagoon four


Shelduck over lagoon four


Redshank on lagoon four

There was a Great Spotted Woodpecker on the feeders at the Egleton Centre and I heard another drumming as I walked back from lagoon four.


Great Spotted Woodpecker


Robin at the Egleton feeding station


Male Greenfinchat the Egleton feeding station


Female Greenfinchat the Egleton feeding station

After a bite to eat I went back to the north arm in the hope of finding the Blackcap.  I heard it sing on few occasions but it was well in the wood and so I went to the end of the road to view the north arm.  There was a lady there who was watching a grebe but was unsure of its identity.  It was in fact the Slavonian Grebe, which was moulting into summer plumage and looked rather messy, although it was showing quite a bit of red on the neck.  We also looked for the Black-necked Grebe and found it out towards the water tower.  After informing Steve that both grebes were still present I departed for home.

No comments:

Post a Comment