Sunday 9 March 2014

A day’s birding in Leicestershire & Rutland March 8, 2014

I called at Eyebrook Reservoir first today and not surprisingly the Little Owl was not in evidence and was no doubt keeping out of the cold wind.  I stopped on the bridge at the inlet and a Red Kite passed over and a few minutes later a familiar bugle-like call of Whooper Swans was heard and thirty-one flew in from the northeast and landed close to the island at the southern end of the reservoir.  Two Shelduck were observed and a Green Woodpecker was heard calling with a Marsh Tit being observed at the Stoke Dry feeders.

I headed off to the north arm at Rutland Water where it was still quite chilly in the fresh breeze but I did get much better views of the Slavonian Grebe today as it was closer and there was no heat haze.  It was watched for a while in the company of the four summer plumage Black-necked Grebes as they gradually moved further up the north arm.  I found the two juvenile Long-tailed Ducks but was unable to locate the female and all ten Barnacle Geese were still present on the north shore.  As I was scanning the water for the third Long-tailed Duck I noticed a group of swans flying fairly low towards me.  Having seen the Whooper Swans at Eyebrook Reservoir I suspected that these might also be Whooper Swans.  I quickly got them in the scope and was able to confirm that they were.  The seven birds flew further into the fishponds before turning left and heading for the reserve.  Whilst in the north arm I had also seen a female Goosander, two Oystercatcher and three Redshanks.


Two of the seven Whooper Swans over the north arm


On reaching the centre there was very little on lagoon one and I decided to walk towards redshank hide and then come back for my lunch, although I did see the seven Whoopers flying off low the west.  As I approached redshank hide there was a nice male Lesser Redpoll feeding the alders and I managed to get one or two nice photos of it.  I then walked back to the car park for lunch and to meet Ken who planned to meet me at 12:00.  I was also told that there were two Avocets on lagoon three, which were the first of the year for the counties.


Lesser Redpoll

Ken arrived just after I had finished my lunch and we went straight to shoveler hide on lagoon three.  There was no sign of the Avocets so we moved on to plover hide on lagoon four were we had distant views of an Avocet and several Curlew.  There were pairs of Ringed Plovers on both island two and three and a red-headed Smew was observed to the left of the hide and the seven Whooper Swans were present.

We called at shoveler hide again on lagoon three seeing just four Shelduck and a Redshank and soon moved off to sandpiper hide on lagoon four.


Lesser Black-backed Gull over lagoon four

The Whooper Swans were dozing quite close to the hide and we had better views of the two Avocets, which were on island eight.  There were also thirty-two Golden Plovers on another island and I found a single Dunlin on another.  The Whooper Swans started to move around a little with some giving a soft call and expected them to perhaps continue on their migration but they remained and proved some good photo opportunities as they swam to the left.  Interestingly there were two birds that had paler bills and were a little duskier around the neck and we suspected that they were probably birds in their third calendar year.


Whooper Swans on lagoon four


Whooper Swan on lagoon four


Whooper Swans on lagoon four


Whooper Swans on lagoon four

On getting back to the centre there were two male and a female Red-crested Pochard visible on lagoon two and a Black-tailed Godwit on the long island.  The Red-crested Pochard was my first of the year and the Black-tailed Godwit my first county record for the year.

Ken, Chris Park and I returned to the north arm where we had poor views of the grebes and a Great Northern Diver but also found the third Long-tailed Duck.  There were masses of gulls assembling on the northern shore but they were mainly Black-headed and Common Gulls with a few Great Black-backed and the odd Lesser Black-backed and Herring.  Four Red Kites flew over the north arm heading south and we suspected they were probably going to roost and fifteen Brambling came into their roost just after 17:00.


Buzzard over the north arm


Red Kite over the north arm

No comments:

Post a Comment