Thursday 13 March 2014

A day’s birding in Leicestershire & Rutland - March 11, 2014

I called briefly at Eyebrook Reservoir this morning where it was quite chilly in the northeast wind.  The Little Owl obliged in the old oak but a Little Egret in the stream was the only other bird of note.


Two Red Kites were observed just after Seaton as I headed for Normanton at Rutland Water. I parked outside the reservoir car park and walked the short distance to view the area between the fishing lodge and the church and found a pair of Mandarin Duck close in shore.  A Chiffchaff was also heard singing briefly but I couldn’t locate it.  At the dam the northeast wind was making it quite chilly and there was very little present.  I looked for the Black Redstart in the usual places with no sign but I did see a lone Buzzard over the dam.  As I walked back to the gate to the dam for one last scan for the Black Redstart I met Steve and whilst we were talking he picked up the Black Redstart on the dam and a Chiffchaff in a small tree close to the gates.  Six Dunlin flew low over the water before gaining height and heading off east.


Female Mandarin Duck at Normanton


Male Mandarin Duck at Normanton

I gave Steve a lift back to the Sykes Lane car park and then continued to the north arm where I found two of the Long-tailed Ducks, the Slavonian Grebe and the four Black-necked Grebes.  There was a couple of Shelduck and two Oystercatchers on the north shore but nothing else of note and I went to the Egleton Reserve.

From the centre there were ten Curlew on the long island and three Oystercatchers were observed on other islands.  A female Goosander flew to the back of the lagoon, which was a nice record as they appear to have left quite early this year.

I had met Bob in the north arm and I walked to Dunlin hide on lagoon four with him and we found another pair of Oystercatcher, three Avocets, five Ringed Plovers, five Dunlin and three Redshanks.  We then walked to plover hide as Bob had seen a red-headed Smew disappear behind island three.

We soon found the red-headed Smew and also another two Ringed Plovers and a Green Sandpiper and two Buzzards were observed perched on the telegraph poles overlooking the filter beds.

Ken joined us in the hide and shortly afterwards he and I returned to the centre whilst Bob went to shoveler hide on lagoon three.  We had seen Steve as we walked back who had found a Black-tailed Godwit asleep on the long island and so we popped into the centre before I had my lunch.  I found the bird now feeding on the edge of the long island but there was nothing else new and so I went for my lunch.


Male Reed Bunting at the Egleton feeding station


Female Chaffinch at the Egleton feeding station

After lunch Ken and I walked to snipe hide on the wet meadow, primarily to see how the work was progressing as a new scrape was being created.  The digger was still in operation but the work looked almost complete and hopefully the area will attract some good birds.  We decided to walk back to shoveler hide on lagoon three but found very little, a single Snipe being the best with two of the Shelduck flying in from lagoon four.


Female Shelduck on lagoon three


Male Shelduck on lagoon three

Ken decide to call it a day but I took another look on lagoon four before making a final call at the centre but found nothing new.

No comments:

Post a Comment