Wednesday 21 August 2013

A morning walk in Great Glen and Newton Harcourt, Leicestershire - August 21, 2013

I went out for a walk along the footpath to the south of Greta Glen then west along the Grand Union Canal towpath from Newton Harcourt.

The walk from Great Gland produced nice views of a Sparrowhawk, a Green Woodpecker flying low over a field, a single Swallow, a Chiffchaff, a female Blackcap and a Whitethroat.  There was also two adult and an immature Grey Wagtail on the filter beds at the sewage works.

The walk along the canal is slightly longer and I found at two adult Spotted Flycatchers feeding a young and another adult at a second location.  Five Raven also flew over the canal as I reached the turning point of the walk, which was the first time I had seen them in the area.  Nine Swallow were observed as I started the walk and a I saw a single male Blackcap and a Treecreeper, where I was certain I could hear more Spotted Flycatchers but couldn’t locate them in the small copse.


Insects were not prolific but I did see several species of butterfly, dragonflies and moths.

No comments:

Post a Comment