Friday 9 August 2013

A day in Rutland - August 6, 2013

I was out on my own today and decided to visit the Lyndon Reserve at Rutland Water first.  I checked the feeders at the centre before walking to shallow water hide and found a single Tree Sparrow amongst the Blue and Great Tits.


As I started the walk I found two Red-legged Partridges in the first field just off the reserve but saw little else until I reached deep water hide.  As I approached the hide there was a party of birds foraging in the trees on either side of the path.  I stopped and scanned the trees, there were clearly plenty of Blue Tits, a few Great Tits and Chaffinch but there was also a few warblers, which turned out to be mainly Chiffchaffs but I did find a single Lesser Whitethroat and could hear a Treecreeper calling.  I continued along the track and found another party of birds and found another Lesser Whitethroat, a Whitethroat and a Willow Warbler.  As I reached the path leading to wader scrape hide there were more passerines.  As they flew across the path many went into a small bush and over a few minutes I saw four Blackcaps and a single Sedge Warbler and there were also several Long-tailed Tits.  I eventually reached sallow water hide and the two adults and three juvenile Ospreys were all present.  I also found four Green Sandpipers and three Dunlin and I eventually saw nine Little Egrets.  One of the adult Ospreys flew off and presumably returned a few minutes later when it was joined by two of the others and all three then circled high into the sky.  One eventually returned to the nest but the adult and one of the juveniles flew off high to the west and had not returned by the time I departed.  Two Buzzard were also seen just north of the bay but with little else I set off back to the centre.


Grey Heron in Manton Bay


Grey Heron alighting in Manton Bay

I decided to walk back along the lower track and found another party of birds, again mainly tits, particularly Long-tailed but I also saw at least on Willow Warbler and a Treecreeper.  I called in both Tufted Duck and deep water hides but saw very little, three Little Grebes from Tufted Duck hide being the best.


Lapwing from Tufted Duck hide

Back at the centre there were now seven Tree Sparrows around the feeders and also a Great Spotted Woodpecker.  I watched the birds on the feeders for a while but the hoped for Willow and Marsh Tits failed to appear.

I drove around to the Egleton car park and decided to walk to fieldfare hide calling at both snipe and harrier hides.  An Oystercatcher from snipe was the highlight on the wet meadow and five Green Sandpipers and a Wood Sandpiper were observed from harrier hide.

It was quiet when I arrived at fieldfare hide but after a few minutes I heard a Greenshank call and it dropped into the bay.  I continued round to pintail hide on lagoon six but drew a blank, so I continued to heron bay.  There were two Little Egrets on lagoon eight as I passed and from heron hide I found three Green Sandpipers and two Common Terns.  Walking back to the centre I called in the 360° hide but there was very little on the lagoon and certainly nothing of note.  On reaching the centre I had my lunch before viewing lagoon one form the centre.  The Garganey was still present and I added Common Sandpiper before moving on to sandpiper hide on lagoon four.


Sedge Warbler from heron hide


Sedge Warbler from heron hide

I soon located the long-staying first-summer Little Gull and found seven Ringed Plovers and three Dunlin and a Red Kite and Buzzard were over Burley.

It was whilst in the hide that Steve called to inform me that three male Chalkhill Blue butterflies and a Silver-washed Fritillary had been seen at Bloody Oaks Quarry.  I had not seen Chalkhill Blue in the counties and decided to go as it is only a few miles away.

Bloody Oaks Quarry is quite a small LRWT reserve and it only took a couple of minutes to reach the area where the Chalkhill Blues had been reported.  It was now unfortunately overcast but it wasn’t too long before I had seen two.  Steve then arrived and he had seen the Silver-washed Fritillary closer to the entrance.  I walked back with Steve and we soon found feeding on the bank.  It performed very well over the next twenty minutes or so.  Andrew Harrop, the finder of the Chalkhill Blues, joined us and we eventually went back for another look at them.  We soon found two males and then Steve located a female, could there be a small colony here?  I found out later that it had been of sixty years since they were last reliably recorded.


Male Chalkhill Blue


Male Chalkhill Blue


Female Chalkhill Blue


Silver-washed Fritillary


Silver-washed Fritillary

I made a further quick visit to shoveler hide on lagoon three at Rutland Water where there was a Ruff, a Snipe, seven Black-tailed Godwits and four Green Sandpipers.


Comma

It had been an excellent day and Dave and Roger on the 7th recorded twenty species of butterfly including seven Chalkhill Blues at Bloody Oaks and Rutland Water.

No comments:

Post a Comment