Wednesday 21 August 2013

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - August 20, 2013

Dave had put his month trap out last night and so I started in Newton Harcourt emptying the trap.  There were sixty-six moths in the trap comprising of twenty species as follows: Garden Rose Tortrix [4]; Celypha striana [1]; Agriphila geniculea [4]; Catoptria falsella [1]; Pleurophya ruralis [1]; Acrobasis advenella [2]; Common Carpet [1]; Double-striped Pug [1]; Brimstone Moth [1]; Dingy Footman [2]; Falme Shoulder [1]; Large Yellow Underwing [7]; Lesser Yellow Underwing [10]; Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing [6]; Square-spot Rustic [3]; Marbled Beauty [2]; Mouse Moth [1]; Common Rustic species [1]; Flounced Rustic [5] and Silver Y [12].

None of these were new but the Mouse Moth was the first for the year.


Whilst emptying the trap a Green Woodpecker and Coal Tit were heard calling and two Swallow and at least ten House Martin were observed.


Double-striped Pug


Square-spot Rustic


Square-spot Rustic


Square-spot Rustic


Common Rustic type


Flounced Rustic

Dave was busy this morning and so I set off for Eye Brook Reservoir on my own seeing very little on route with a Jay as I approached the reservoir being the best.

I tuned off the Uppingham road onto the narrow road leading to the reservoir and had a brief view of a Wheatear as it was perched on a compost heap.

There were four Little Egrets roosting in trees at the inlet and a fifth was located along the Leicestershire bank.  A single juvenile Shelduck and two Common Terns were also observed but otherwise it was rather quiet.  I noticed a large number of gulls in a distant field that was obviously being worked by the farmer and on closer inspection found four Red Kites in the field.  An Osprey was observed on a couple of occasions and on the second it landed in a tree on the Leicestershire side, where I have seen it regularly over the last month.

At Rutland Water I decided to walk around to Lax Hill as a Black-necked Grebe had been reported off fieldfare hide on Sunday.  I called at snipe hide first where there were four Green Sandpipers and a Ruff on the wet meadow flash as well as a single Little Egret.

Harrier hide produced very little with just five Little Egrets and a single Green Sandpiper.  There was no sign of the Black-necked Grebe from fieldfare hide and so I walked on to goldeneye hide.  Whilst the reservoir edges look excellent for waders there appeared to be very few present and nothing from goldeneye.  I did have a nice few minutes as I left the hide seeing a couple of Chiffchaff, a Willow Warbler, two Blackcaps, a Garden Warbler, a Whitethroat, a Lesser Whitethroat, a Goldcrest and a Treecreeper with both the Goldcrest and Treecreeper looking rather tatty.


Brown Hawker close to fieldfare hide


Brimstone near harrier hide


Male Blackcap near goldeneye hide

I continued on to Heron Bay where there was another Little Egret and a Green Sandpiper as well as three Little Grebes and two Common Terns and I did see another Lesser Whitethroat in a bush on the far shore.  Lagoon eight had very quiet and lagoon five from the 360° hide produced just two more Little Egrets.

I continued back to the car park where I had lunch before going to the centre and checking out lagoon one.  The five Little Egrets were still present and two Snipe and seven Green Sandpipers were observed and there appeared to be more Shoveler than of late and a single Wigeon was observed.  With little else of note I set of the lagoons at the northern edge of the reserve and specifically to shoveler hide on lagoon three, which has been the best area for waders recently.


Elephant Hawk-moth caterpillar close to the 360°

As I opened the flaps in the hide there were clearly a few waders present.  There was a Dunlin, six Ruff, twenty-three Snipe, two Black-tailed Godwit and two Green Sandpipers.  As I was scanning though the duck I saw what I thought was a Black-necked Grebe but it dived and disappeared behind a bank of reeds.  I moved to buzzard hide hoping it would be visible from there and after a few minutes I relocated again and confirmed that it was a Black-necked Grebe.  I informed Steve and Tim of its presence and after a while joined Steve in shoveler hide.  The grebe was now visible again from shoveler and two Greenshanks flew in and landed out of sight in front of the hide.  A Little Ringed Plover also made a brief visit and we found at least four Red Kites, two Buzzard and a Hobby distantly over Burley Wood and a Water Rail was heard.


Migrant Hawker from buzzard hide


Migrant Hawker from shoveler hide

Steve decided to go to lapwing hide and just as I was leaving the hide he called to say he had found a couple of Goldeneye in south arm three.  I walked the short distance to the hide where he pointed out the Goldeneye amongst the fast raft of Tufted Duck and I found a third individual even closer.
I started to make my way to sandpiper hide on lagoon dour when Steve called again as he had found a Common Scoter.  As I was only a few yards from the hide I returned and scoped the bird, which was a female-type and a good county bird for August.
I called at sandpiper hide on lagoon four where there were six Little Egrets, a Little Ringed Plover, sixteen Ringed Plovers, a Ruff and a Greenshank.  The female Pintail, that appears to have over summered was also observed and there were seven Yellow-legged Gulls amongst the Lesser and Great Black-backed Gulls.
It had been a rather pleasant day with several good birds observed.

No comments:

Post a Comment