Friday 9 August 2013

A morning at Gibraltar Point, Lincolnshire - August 8, 2013

I had gone over to the Lincolnshire coast today with my wife to see my grandchildren who were on holiday in a relations caravan.  My daughter, husband and my wife were going to a market and so I took the opportunity to visit Gibraltar Point where there were apparently Turtle Doves as I had yet to see any this year.  I parked in the beach car park and went to Finland Lagoon, which was almost dry but there were there were five Little Egrets and a Kestrel on it.  A visit to The Mere produced a Green Sandpiper and five more Little Egret but there was no sign of the target bird.  Tennyson’s Sands held a few waders that included twenty-two Avocets, nine Dunlin, a Snipe, seventy-eight Black-tailed Godwits, a Green Sandpiper, two Greenshanks and twenty-one Sandwich Terns.

I walked out to Mill Hill where I was able to scan the sea and the scrub to the west.  There were c.170 Sandwich Terns and a single Common Tern amongst the mass of gulls roosting on the beach and I also counted twenty-one Sanderling on the shore.  However there appeared to be little activity over the scrub area and I started to walk back to the car park.  I met another birder who informed me that he was a regular and that he suspected that there were just one pair of Turtle Doves and that he saw them about every other visit.  As I continued to walk back to car park I picked up two doves flying towards me before they veered off and continued to the roadside scrub, success they were Turtle Doves.  I then saw one as it flew back to where from the roadside scrub to the scrub nearer the beach.


This made my morning as I was beginning to think that they might elude me this year as records in Leicestershire & Rutland have been few and rather sporadic.

No comments:

Post a Comment