Wednesday 26 June 2013

A day’s birding in Leicestershire & Rutland - June 25, 2013

With the weather forecast being reasonable today I decided to go to Ketton in the hope of seeing some butterflies.  When I arrived although the sun was shining there was still a nip in the air due to the cool northwest wind.  I initially decided to check out the area where there had been twenty plus Bee Orchids last year and where I thought there were some spike beginning to show at my last visit.  However today the suspected spike appeared to have withered and there was no sign.  I continued down the track and continued around into the area where there was a single Southern Marsh Orchid and a number of Twayblades.  The surprise today was the number of Common Spotted orchids since my last visit and I must have seen well over two hundred.  During the initial part of the walk I had seen several Common Blues, all males, and a couple of Small Heath.  As I continued there was a single Speckled Wood but little else insect wise and so I decided to go through the wood and check on the Yellow Bird’s-nest.  There were plenty of them but very few more than shoots and they had not progressed much since the last visit.  Over the gate I found several more Southern Marsh Orchids with two looking rather stunning.


Spear Thistle


Nettle-tap


Southern Marsh Orchids

Whilst I was looking around the area for more I noticed a rather pale month flying and saw it land and was able to catch it in a pot to establish that it as a Grass Wave and I also found my first Red Admiral of the year feeding on a faeces.


Grass Wave


Yellow Bird's-nest

I walked back through the wood and on through the valley.  There were more Twayblade and numerous Common Spotted Orchids alongside the path and there were also several more Common Blue and Small Heath butterflies.  As I reached the end of the valley I found a Large Skipper and my first Meadow Brown of the year juts the other side of the gate.  In the small quarry I saw a couple of male Common Blue and Small Heath and a female Adder was seen briefly before she slipped away into the longer grass.
I continued further into the larger quarry area and found a Vapourer moth lava on the top of a grass stem.


Vapourer lava


Common Spotted Orchids

There were few insects other than an odd Common Blue and Small Heath but two Red Kites flew over.
When I got back to the small quarry two others looking for butterflies had seen both Grizzled and Dingy Skipper and a Brown Argus.  I did see a Dingy Skipper and a second Red Admiral before I walked back through the valley with them.


Dingy Skipper

It was now a little warm and there were more insects on the wing with another Meadow Brown, several more, male, Common Blues and Small Heaths and there were also several Burnet Companions.  I left the other two to continue and I walked back along the track seeing my first female Common Blue and two more Dingy Skippers.  When I reached the small quarry I also found a single Grizzled Skipper but there was no sign of the Brown Argus.


Burnet Companion

I walked back to the car and after some lunch went to Rutland Water where I met Ken in the Bird Watching Centre.

At Rutland Water Ken and I walked to shoveler hide on lagoon three but there appeared to be far fewer birds, particularly close to the hide.  We find a single Green Sandpiper and the two Shelduck still had four young.  A couple of Reed Warbler also provided some brief views and a Hobby flew in a remained to feed for a short while.  Other than about a dozen Common Terns there was little else so we moved to bittern hide where we had further brief views of Reed Warblers and a single Sedge Warbler.  A first-summer Little Gull appeared to fly in off lagoon four and remained to feed amongst the terns.


Common Tern over lagoon three


Grey Heron over lagoon three


Juvenile Pied Wagtail

We walked back to sandpiper hide on lagoon four and found four first-summer Little Gulls, which was a surprise as there had only been three.  There was also seven Little Egrets feeding on the lagoon and we also found a single Little Ringed Plover and Ringed Plover and a Hobby provided some distant views.


Common Tern over lagoon four at Rutland Water

No comments:

Post a Comment