Thursday 20 June 2013

A day’s birding in Leicestershire & Rutland - June 18, 2013

I went to Stoughton Airfield first to see if there was any sign of Grey Partridge but again there were none and very little else, a Stock Dove and Skylark being the best.

I continued onto Mount’s Lodge near Great Casterton where there had been a Quail calling recently.  The roadside verges here are wide and contain and array of wild flowers and grasses, which are of some interest and there is always a few birds of interest.  Skylarks appeared to be everywhere and there were two Red Kites and two Buzzards showing over a distant wood.  After an hour I still hadn’t heard the Quail and decided to move on.


Goat's Beard


Hoary Plantain


Ribwort Plantain


Common Poppy

I drove the short distance to Ketton Quarry and walked to where the Bee Orchids were but they were still no more than short stalks.  I continued to walk along the path seeing a few Common Blue and Small Heath butterflies.  As I turned to walk towards the wooded area I found a single Southern Marsh Orchid and a few Common Twayblades and a little further had two Speckled Wood butterflies.  I then heard a Marsh Tit call and had some nice views before it moved off.  This was the first Marsh Tit I had seen since early May and they appear to be going the same way as Willow Tits and becoming more difficult to locate.  There were a few Common Spotted Orchids alongside the path but they were all rather small and looked as though they were going over.  I continued through the wood and dropped into the cutting where I found more Common Spotted Orchids with a few looking a little better.  The sun was now out and there were more Common Blue and Small Heath butterflies and also had a single Brimstone and Large Skipper and I disturbed a Burnet moth.


Common Carpet


Large Skipper


Common Blue


Southern Marsh Orchid


Common Twayblade


Common Spotted Orchid


Prickly-sow Thistle


When I reached the first small quarry an Adder was pointed out and over next hour I had some nice views of two females that were sunning themselves on the edge of the vegetation.  There were also more Common Blue and Small Heath, two Dingy Skipper and a single Peacock butterflies.


Female Adder


Female Adder

Having had a nice couple of hours at Ketton I went to Rutland Water where there had been a tweet regarding a Spotted Redshank on lagoon three.

On arrival I had an early lunch before I walked to shoveler hide on lagoon three.  I saw Bob on the way down who said he had only seen a Garganey, Green Sandpiper and a Redshank on lagoon three and couldn't find the Spotted Redshank.

When I arrived in the hide I soon located the Green Sandpiper and Redshank but the eclipse male Garganey proved a little more difficult.  It was on few for a little while before the male Shelduck, present with the female and a brood of seven, chased everything away as the ducklings moved towards the hide.  The male and female were later seen giving two Grey Herons some grief as they tried to land and succeeded in forcing them away.  This brood of Shelduck were the same as those seen on lagoon four last week and it was pleasing to see all seven were still present.  There were a couple of Reed Warblers chasing through the reeds but they didn’t stay still long enough to photograph.  Two Hobby were observed above the lagoon, a couple of Sparrowhawks were seen briefly over the wood to the north and two Little Egrets flew over the hide.  I moved to bittern hide, seeing an Osprey, Garden Warbler and Sedge Warbler on route, but other than a Little Egret and several Reed Warblers there was nothing new.


Little Egret over lagoon three


Two of the brood of seven Shelduck on lagoon three


Common Tern over lagoon three


Common Tern over lagoon three

From plover hide on lagoon four I saw a single Little Ringed Plover and two Ringed Plover and then two Oystercatcher chicks were beginning to look more like Oystercatchers.  I walked to dunlin hide on lagoon four where I had five Ringed Plover and a Dunlin suddenly appear that disappeared almost as quickly and was unable to find them again but I did locate a single first-summer Little Gull and two Yellow-legged Gulls.

It would appear that the Spotted Redshank sighting was erroneous as only the original observer had seen it.  When they had been asked about it they confirmed that it was not in breeding plumage, which is unlikely at this time of year and too early for a juvenile, and agreed that they had regrettably made a mistake but who hasn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment