Wednesday 12 June 2013

A day at Rutland Water, Rutand - June 11, 2013


I went straight to Rutland Water today but stopped briefly at Stoughton airfield where I hoped I might see Grey Partridge but without success and the only bird of note on route was a Red Kite near East Norton.

When I arrived at Rutland Water I walked to shoveler hide on lagoon three were there appeared to be more wildfowl particularly close to the hide.  There were three male and a single female Garganey and a female Pintail amongst the more common species.  The male Garganey were all moulting into eclipse plumage, one being more advanced than the other two and almost certainly the dame bird as seen on Saturday.  There also appeared to be more Teal and Shoveler present, with the Teal appearing to be returning earlier than normal, although there was only one female amongst the twenty plus males.  A Cetti’s was also heard calling and there wa s a couple of Reed Warbler singing close to the hide.  After spending some time in the hide I moved to bittern hide but there was very little there except for a few brief views of several Reed Warblers and numerous sighting of male Reed Buntings.


On lagoon four I did find three Oystercatcher, two Little Ringed Plover and a single Ringed Plover.  Amongst a party of immature Great Black-backed Gulls there were at least three Yellow-legged Gulls and a single Lesser Black-backed Gull.


Great Crested Grebes at nest


Great Crested Grebe at nest with egg visible


Oystercatcher


Oystercatcher

I eventually made my way back to shoveler hide on lagoon three having a nice but brief view of a singing Garden Warbler and seeing three Osprey over the hide as I approached it.  On three there were a few more terns, two Little Egrets flew over and an Oystercatcher made a brief visit.


One of the three Osprey over shoveler hide


Little Egret

Whilst in shoveler hide Tim called to say my scope was back from repair and eventually set of the centre to collect it.

Having collected and shorted my scope out I went off towards snipe hide on the wet meadow.  On arriving there were two Little Egret on the wet meadow but other than a four Oystercatcher flying around and a couple of Egyptian Goose there was little else and I moved off to harrier hide on lagoon one.  I had not been in the hide too long when I noticed an Osprey being pursued by an adult Great Black-backed Gull.  The gull eventually gave up but Osprey provided some nice views for a while.


Goldfinch at the Egleton feeding station


Greenfinch at the Egleton feeding station


Osprey over lagoon one


Jackdaw from harrier hide


Carrion Crowfrom harrier hide

From harrier I moved to tern hide on lagoon six and then pintail on the same lagoon but other than three Common Terns there was little else.


Oystercatcher on lagoon six


Recently hatched Coot from pintail hide on lagoon six


Black-headed Gull harassing a Mute Swan on lagoon six

From the ramp to Shelduck hide on lagoon five it is possible to view lagoon seven and I counted twenty-four Common Terns and saw a Ringed Plover.  Lagoon five was very quiet and so I made way back for lunch in the car park,  A Red Kite passed over the car park as I had my lunch and after speaking to Steve Lister I decided to go back to lagoon four although there was nothing new being reported.  As I was walked down to lagoon four Terry Mitcham informed me that he had seen two first-summer Little Gulls on the lagoon and they were still present when I arrived.  There was also two Little Egrets and I had further views of the two Little Ringed Plovers.

Having had enough of lagoon four, I moved off to shoveler hide again where I joined Steve.  The four Garganey were still present and one of the two Little Gulls, seen on lagoon four, also made a visit.  I took some more photos of the Garganey and got a couple of distant shots of the Little Gull as it flew back towards lagoon four and Hobby also provided some photo opportunities.


Grey Heron on lagoon three


Drake Garganey on lagoon three


Male and female Garganey on lagoon three


Male Garganey on lagoon three


Male Garganey on lagoon three


Female Garganey on lagoon three


Male and female Garganey on lagoon three


Male Shoveler on lagoon three


First-summer Little Gull over lagoon three







Hobby over lagoon three

I finally called it a day having seen seventy-four species during the day and getting some nice shots in what might otherwise be described as a quiet day.  There was a goods election of warblers present but they are becoming increasing more difficult to see as the vegetation continues to grow, I heard Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler and Blackcap and saw Whitethroat, Sedge Warbler and Reed Warbler.

No comments:

Post a Comment