Thursday 2 May 2013

An afternoon at Watermead Country Park, Leicestershire - April 29, 2013


David and I had gone to Watermead Country Park to see a Wood Warbler present for its third day.  Although it was not the best time for song there were quite a few warbler singing as we walked to King Lear’s Lake and we managed to see several Whitethroats and heard Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Blackcap and three Reed Warbler and there was also six Common Terns feeding over one of the small lakes.  When we reached the sight for the Wood Warblers there were a few other birders present but the bird had disappeared.  After a short wait one of the birders picked it up and I watched it briefly before I tried to get a photo of the bird.  I had commented to Dave that I didn’t think that it was showing much yellow around the head.  It then sat for a while and although partially obscured I did managed to get a few photos before it disappeared again.  Some of the birders left and other arrived and the bird was then relocated and I immediately realised that it was not the bird we had been watching before and there was clearly more yellow around the face.  We then had some excellent views of the bird and I managed to get some nice photos of it.  I checked the photos of the first bird and felt that it was either a Chiffchaff or Willow Warbler.  A Garden Warbler was then heard singing close by and I got brief views as it moved through the hedgerow, it being my first for the year.  A Cetti’s Warbler had also been heard nearby but as usual remained elusive.  AS we walked back to the car we had brief views of a Grasshopper Warbler and heard Sedge Warbler.

It had been a pleasant afternoon with some good birds observed.


Willow Warbler


Wood Warbler


Wood Warbler


Wood Warbler


Wood Warbler


Wood Warbler


Wood Warbler

No comments:

Post a Comment