Wednesday 8 May 2013

A day’s birding in Leicestershire & Rutland _ May 7, 2013


I made an early start today and headed for s site near Great Easton in Leicestershire as there had been Cuckoo reported recently.  I arrived just after six and heard a Cuckoo almost immediately but it was quite some time before I actually saw it and some considerable distance from where I had parked.  The area is where Short-eared Owls have been recorded during the winter months of some years but the habitat is not quite as open now.  There were plenty of birds, particularly Whitethroats as I saw ten and heard another two as I walked along a public footpath.  There was also Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler and Blackcap and it looks as though it could be suitable for Turtle Doves but there have not been any records as yet for Leicestershire & Rutland.  A nice surprise as I got back to car was a Barn Owl that was still hunting just before 07:00.

I moved off to Eye Brook Reservoir from Great Easton and had a Little Owl in a roadside tree just before I turned left to the reservoir.  I checked the old oak for Little Owl and found one sitting in the normal place.  The water level at the reservoir is still very high and as such was pretty quiet, although two summer plumage Black Terns were very nice.  There were quite a few warblers and I recorded Willow Warbler, Blackcap, Garden Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat, Whitethroat and Sedge Warbler.  With nothing else of note present I moved off to the dam at Rutland Water where there had been a Hooded Crow yesterday evening, which is a rare bird for the counties and most unexpected at this time of the year.

There was no sign of the crow, although it was seen until at least 06:40 but had vanished when Steve Lister arrived at 07:00.  There were two Common Sandpipers on the stones surrounding the pumping station and two summer plumage Turnstones also made a brief visit before they flew off high to the east.  Four Common Terns also appeared to make several attempts to move east but were still present when I moved off.  I saw at least four different Red Kites and a single Buzzard just east of the dam but there was still no sign of the Hooded Crow.


Oystercatcher from the dam


Oystercatcher from the dam


Common Tern at the dam
In the north arm there was a moulting Grey Plover, two Oystercatcher, a Little Ringed Plover, two Greenshanks and Little Egret on the north shore.  There was also another Red Kite, a Sparrowhawk and two Buzzards over Burley Wood.  I stuck it out in the north arm but didn’t see anything else of note until I moved off to Egleton for my lunch.


First-summer Black-headed Gull


After lunch I spent some time overlooking lagoon one where there were several Common Terns and two Black Terns feeding over the lagoon.  There were also three Little Egrets and two Oystercatchers.  I then noticed a bird of prey disappear behind the poplars at the back of the lagoon and my first impression was Marsh Harrier.  It soon reappeared and I was able to confirm my first assumptions were correct; it was a female/immature.  It then spent a while hunting over the ground on the southern edge of the lagoon before dropping down as if to catch something.  It was then mobbed repeatedly by several corvids and whilst taking to flight was reluctant to move away and kept dropping to the ground.  Eventually it did alight in a slightly different area and the corvids ceased mobbing it.

I walked to the new Bittern hide on lagoon three with Mike Chester but other than twenty Common Terns and several illusive Reed Warblers there was nothing else of note.  We walked the short distance to plover hide where Steve was already and pointed out a single summer plumage Sanderling and another Greenshank.  The Grey Plover present this morning in the north arm was now on the lagoon.  He had also had two Whimbrel and a Curlew but these appeared to have moved off.  Another Red Kite, the sixth of the day flew over the lagoon and shortly afterwards a Hobby was observed towards the fishponds before it also passed high over the lagoon.  Both Steve and Mike then departed and I moved off to sandpiper hide where I found Norman Hall who was making his first visit since breaking his hip after slipping on ice at Lyndon earlier this year.  It was good to see him back and he looks in good health after his ordeal.  From sandpiper I saw the Grey Plover and Sanderling again and also six Avocets and several Ringed Plovers and Dunlin.


First-summer Common Gull over lagoon four


Whitethroat from path to bittern and plover hides

I finally decided to make my way to the car park and called in the centre again where the two Black Terns were still present.  I also found a single Redshank and a female Pintail on one of the islands but there was no sign of the reported Ruff.  I had a quick coffee break and returned to dunlin hide on lagoon four and waited for the Ring-billed Gull to come in from Melton but tonight it broke the habit and failed to appear.  Matthew picked up a Marsh Harrier over the reedbed on lagoon three and as I watched I was convinced it was a different bird to the one I saw on lagoon one earlier.  This bird’s plumage appeared less uniform and it had a very pale tail that I had noticed on the earlier sighting.

I finally called it a day and walked back to the car park and making a final and successful check for the Ruff on lagoon one before heading off home.

Travelling home I added Tree Sparrow to the day list and finished on ninety-seven for the day.  Not bad for land locked locations.


No comments:

Post a Comment