Friday 24 May 2013

A day's birding in Leicestershire & Rutland - May 21, 2013

I drove to Eye Brook Reservoir and had a Barn Owl between Kibworth and Tur Langton as it hunted along the roadside before disappearing over a hedge.  It was very close to the area where I had seen it, or another, on March 28th.  I also saw a Little Owl near Slawston, which was my first sighting in this area since January 9th.

It was very quiet at Eye Brook Reservoir and there was no mud even around the edges today.  There was a single Shelduck and eight Common Terns present and a good number of Swift and hirundines, mainly House Martins with a few Swallows.  The only warbler I saw was a Whitethroat but I did hear another Whitethroat as well as a couple of Willow Warblers and Blackcaps.

From Eye Brook Reservoir I went to the north arm at Rutland Water where it was also very quiet and the wind was now quiet fresh and very cold.  There were seven Shelduck and three Common Terns but very little else with water being almost devoid of birds.

I went to Egleton Reserve and walked to plover hide on lagoon four but found very little, a single Little Ringed Plover and eight Ringed Plovers being the best.  There were a few Common Terns present and I noticed that they several more were flying over and on looking found two first-summer Little Gulls amongst them.  I eventually moved off to the new Bittern hide where there were eighteen Common Terns feeding over the lagoon and these were joined by the two Little Gulls.


Little Egret from bittern hide


Little Egret from bittern hide


Little Egret from bittern hide

From bittern hide I went to osprey hide on lagoon three where I had good views of a Sedge Warbler but very little else, although I did hear a Cuckoo.


Sedge Warbler from osprey hide

I walked back to the centre and a brief look on lagoon one produced nothing but two distant Osprey.  I had seen or heard Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Blackcap, Whitethroat, Sedge Warbler an Reed Warblers and there were plenty of Swift over the reserve but did appear to very quiet.  I had my lunch before deciding to walk the other way this afternoon as it did appear to be a little warmer with a abating wind.

I walked to snipe hide on the wet meadow and then on to fieldfare hide before returning to harrier hide on lagoon one.  Other than more Shelduck, Common Terns and warblers nothing of note was seen.  A Hobby was then noted sitting on a post not too far from harrier hide after which it performed over lagoon one for some time.


Swift from snipe hide


Orange Tip from fieldfare hide


Orange Tip from fieldfare hide


Orange Tip from fieldfare hide


Hobby from harrier hide

I walked to tern hide and then pintail hide on lagoon six where there is a substantial Black-headed Gull colony on the island with a few Common Terns and an Oystercatcher but there was no sign of last week’s Little Ringed Plovers or Redshanks.


Oystercatcher on lagoon six


Cuckoo Flower on Lax Hill


European Hare around lagoon six

As I walked past lagoon eight towards the 360° hide a saw two Oystercatcher and a single Common Tern on the lagoon.  I continued past the 360° hide and went on to shelduck hide on lagoon six.  I checked out lagoon seven before entering the hide and counted sixteen Common Terns on one of the islands, which they will hopefully nest on.  With nothing of note from the shelduck hide and went to the 360° where there were two Redshanks and a heard a Little Ringed Plover on a couple of occasions but couldn’t locate it.  There were a number of Common Terns feeding over the lagoon and some provided good photo opportunities.
I called at snipe hide on the way back to the centre where I found a pair of Wigeon and being told that a Short-eared Owl had been seen near fieldfare hide and lagoon five I decided to go into mallard hide on lagoon one.  All I saw was my only Shoveler, a drake, of the day but there were no further sighting of the owl.


Common Tern over lagoon five


Common Tern over lagoon five


Common Tern over lagoon five


It had been a fairly quiet day, particularly for mid-May but it did provide several photo opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment