Wednesday 3 April 2013

A visit to Rutland Water, Rutland - April 3, 2013


I was back at Rutland Water again today as there was a family event taking place, which my granddaughter Clia was attending.

Having dropped her off at the centre I took a slow walk to shoveler hide on lagoon three seeing a female Lesser Redpoll on the Egleton feeders and three Water Rails in the flooded meadow on route.  From the hide I found a drake and two red-headed Smew and ten Snipe but there was no sign of yesterday’s Jack Snipes.  I then walked to sandpiper hide on lagoon four where there were nine Shelduck, two Oystercatchers and a single Redshank but little else.

Having collected my granddaughter and having some lunch we spent some time in the centre seeing a single Shoveler, a Little Egret and two Buzzards but the hoped for Barn Owl failed to materialise.
I made a brief visit to Eye Brook Reservoir on the way home but other than twelve Shelduck there was little else.

No comments:

Post a Comment