Wednesday 24 April 2013

A day’s birding in Leicestershire & Rutland - April 23, 2013


I arrived at Watermead Country Park and met Roger at the site where a Grasshopper Warbler had been reported.  I had seen and heard a few Blackcap and Chiffchaff as I walked to the area and there appeared to be plenty of song.  Roger can’t hear Grasshopper Warbler these days and I can only him in on ear, which makes them difficult to locate.  However on arrival all I could hear was a Sedge Warbler and a Whitethroat but after a short while I heard one sing briefly.  I walked in the direction where I thought it was and saw a bird fly into the corner of the field.  As I approached the area it began to sing again and I found it sitting on top of some scrub.  Roger got on it and we had some nice views for a good five minutes.  After a while it dropped down and was then heard singing a little further away.  There were a couple of birds feeding further in the corner of the field and proved to be a Lesser Redpoll and a Reed Bunting and a second redpoll was found before they all flew off.



Grasshopper Warbler

I walked back with Roger and we had some nice views of a Blackcap singing and a Treecreeper was observed carrying nesting material.  As we walked to an area where Roger had seen a Reed Warbler yesterday a Cetti’s Warbler burst into song but we neither saw it nor heard it again.  The Reed Warbler was singing when we arrived at the site but it proved very illusive providing only very brief views as it moved through some brambles.



Male Blackcap

As we walked back to where we had parked I heard two other Grasshopper Warblers singing on an area known as the Thurmaston Flood Plain, which is inaccessible and not being able to see either from the path I had to be content with them singing.

Roger was on grandfather duty today and had to head off home whilst I headed for Beacon Hill.  I stopped briefly at Swithland Reservoir on route and was surprised to find a brood of twelve Mallard feeding on the sidewalk with mother looking on through the fence.

I arrived at Beacon Hill and paid the car park, when there was a twitter message of a Wood Warbler singing at Rutland Water.  This is a good bird for the counties and would be a first for Rutland Water but as I had just paid a decided to continue to look for the Tee Pipits.  I parked the car and walked the short distance to the summit but it was very quiet in the now fresh a cool wind.  As I walked down the eastern I thought I heard a bird calling and shortly afterwards one sang.  It performed very well over the next fifteen minutes and I managed to get some good photos.



Tree Pipit

With the Tree Pipit in the bag and the lure of a Wood Warbler I set for Rutland Water.  I hadn’t gone very far when another tweet arrived ‘Not singing and no sign at present’.  I continued on to Rutland Water and on arrival called Tim Appleton who confirmed that it had not been seen since early morning.  He suggested that I go into the reedbed to see if it had moved there but I was not very optimistic of finding it.  I walked along the path that hugged the woodland as I thought this would be the best bet.  I had gone quite some distance when I thought I might have heard it sing briefly.  I stopped and listened but nothing but as moved forward I thought I heard it again but again on stopping there was nothing.  I walked up a ride that goes into the wood and a bird flew across the path.  I raised my bins and there was a cracking Wood Warbler and I watched it for a few minutes before calling Tim with the good news.  He and Tim Mackrill soon arrived and although I had since lost contact we soon found again and had further views as it fed in the canopy and occasionally gave a brief peace of song.  They both departed but I stayed in the reedbed for a while before going for lunch. 

News had broken this morning that the Ring-billed Gull had been feeding on bread at Melton Country Park and was back again this morning.  I was tempted to go but as I had seen pretty well last night decided to stay at Rutland Water.

I had my lunch in the north arm but it was extremely quiet and drove to the Egleton Reserve and walked to plover hide on lagoon four.  There were clearly more Blackcaps about today and I heard a Lesser Whitethroat but couldn’t find despite it singing several times but a Red Kite flew over as I was searching for it.  There were also plenty of Willow Warbler, the Chiffchaff and a Sedge Warbler and Whitethroat as I approached the hide.  From the hide there was a Ringed Plover sitting tight presumably on eggs on the nearest island and another bird was feeding around th edge.  An Avocet and a couple of Dunlin were also observed but there was little else so I moved to shoveler hide on lagoon three.  There was an Arctic Tern and several Common Terns feeding at the back of the lagoon but it was otherwise quiet.  I then went to dunlin hide on lagoon four were I found two Oystercatcher, four Avocet; a Little Ringed Plover; two more Ringed Plovers, a Ruff and three Redshank.  AS I was leaving the hide Steve Lister arrived and we had a chat about the Ring-billed Gull as he had been to Melton to see it.  He and Colin Towe entered the hide and started to walk back but soon received a call from Steve that the Ring-billed Gull had come in.  I returned to the hide and had some good views and also saw a Yellow Wagtail and my first White Wagtail and fourteen Dunlin flew by the hide.  I eventually set off to the car park but neither heard or saw the Lesser Whitethroat I was hoping for.


Willow Warbler in the Egleton Meadows


No comments:

Post a Comment