Wednesday 17 April 2013

A day’s birding in Leicestershire & Rutland - April 16, 2013


I went to Charley Mill first this morning as Roger had seen a male Ring Ouzel yesterday.  I found nine Wheatear but there was no sign of the ouzel, although it or another was seen during the afternoon.

I moved onto Warren Hills were I found a male and female Wheatear, a Buzzard and a Yellow Wagtail and a Willow Warbler was heard.  Whilst here I had a bit of a disaster as my scoped toppled over in the wind, seemed ok at first but as soon as I tried to adjust the focus it wouldn’t.

I decided to go to Rutland Water and left my scope there to be sent back to Swarovski.

I went to lagoon four first as there was a report of two Mediterranean Gulls displaying but there was no sign form dunlin hide.  I did manage to find four Oystercatcher, six Ringed Plover, six Dunlin and a Redshank.  I also saw a couple of Buzzard over Burley Wood, a Red Kite over the lagoon and an Osprey in the fishponds area.  As I was about to leave I scanned the gulls once more and bingo there were the two adult Mediterranean Gulls and what superb gulls they are at this time of the year.  I suspect that they had been there all the time but out of sight behind the island.  I went to plover hide but there was no sign of either the reported Common Sandpipers or the singing Sedge Warbler and I returned to the car park for my lunch.



Red Kite over lagoon four


Oystercatcher between lagoons three and four


Male Bullfinch in the Egleton Meadows

After lunch I called briefly to the centre where there were two Common Terns on lagoon one and my first for the year.  I then went back to plover hide on lagoon four where I did see the two Common Sandpipers, and another first of the year but there was still no sign of the Sedge Warbler. 

After being in plover for a while I went to shoveler hide on lagoon three but other than a feral Barnacle Goose and a few Sand Martin and Swallow there was little else of note and I walked back to the car park.  I was surprised how much I missed my scope but fortunately I still have my old Kowa scope, which have to come out of retirement for a while.


Jay in the Egleton Meadows


Jay in the Egleton Meadows


Oystercatcher over lagoon four


Oystercatcher on lagoon four


First-winter Common Gull over lagoon four


Second-winter Common Gull over lagoon four


Shelduck over lagoon four


White Wagtail on lagoon four


Willow Warbler in the Egleton Meadows

I called at Eye Brook Reservoir on the way home but other than six Shelduck and few Sand Martin and Swallows there was little else.


No comments:

Post a Comment