Friday 9 November 2012

Salthouse, Norfolk - October 22, 2012


My walk to the beach today was rather later due to the thick fog but as I entered the beach road there were clearly plenty of thrushes and I saw both Redwing ad Fieldfare within a few yards of the main road.  As I continued down the road the number of thrushes increased and there were clearly hundreds present but only a fraction were visible and Redwings were clearly outnumbering Fieldfares.  When I reached the beach I decided to walk west towards Little Eye and continued to see numerous thrushes and found three Ring Ouzels and two Stonechats at the far end of Little Eye.

I found another Ring Ouzel at the eastern end of Little Eye and I continued walking to Granborough Hill to the east were I saw another Ring Ouzel and three Brambling before returning to the cottage.

My oldest granddaughter, Clia and Paul were going out for a walk and I suggested that we walked down a footpath that led to Kelling Quags.  The walk along the track was quite wet and muddy but there were plenty of thrushes , particularly Redwing and I did find another two Brambling and a Stonechat.  We walked along the beach back to Salthouse and birds appeared to be everywhere with more thrushes and Brambling.

I went out again in the afternoon and had further views of two Ring Ouzels and a Lapland Bunting flew over and there was now a noticeable increase in Song Thrush and particularly Robins.

Whilst there was nothing too rare found at Salthouse it was exciting birding and apparently an exceptional fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment