Friday 9 November 2012

A day’s birding in Leicestershire & Rutland - November 2, 2012


I was out on my own today and called at Eye Brook Reservoir first seeing a Red Kite close to Blaston.  The water here is still very high and with the exception of two parties of Fieldfare passing over there was else of note.

I moved off to Rutland Water and walked to Lax Hill calling at snipe, harrier and fieldfare hides on route.

As I approached snipe hide on the wet meadow there were quite a few birds feeding in the hedgerow and I found a single Redwing and three Lesser Redpolls.  The pool on the wet meadow was pretty full and with the exception of Wigeon and Teal there was little else and no sign of the reported male Stonechat, although it was seen later.  I continued to harrier and there was virtually nothing in front of the hide but I did see seventeen Golden Plover flying over the lagoon.

There were quite a few birds in the hedges leading to fieldfare hide but most went unidentified but I did see a single Chiffchaff and another Lesser Redpoll.



Lesser Redpoll

There was little from fieldfare except a few Goldeneye.

I continued to Goldeneye hide on Lax Hill where there were quite a few wildfowl including two Egyptian Goose and two Goldeneye.  There was a good area of mud as the water was now dropping and a single Redshank was found.

I checked out the feeding station from robin hide on Lax Hill and was rewarded with two Nuthatches and a Marsh Tit coming to feed at regular intervals.


Nuthatch on Lax Hill

I continued around the top of Lax Hill and as I came out of the gate at the top of the hill I suddenly found myself sitting on my backside.  I had stood on a cow pat on a slope and it was just like trying to stand on ice.  The worst was that I had also sat in it.  After cleaning myself off as best as I could I started to walk back to the 360° hide when the phone went with a message that there was a male Ring-necked Duck close to tufted duck hide on the Lyndon Reserve.

I walked straight back to the car park and drove around to the Lyndon Centre where Tim, the Reserve Manager, gave me a lift along the top track.  We arrived to find Steve Lister watching the bird and we were soon able to get reasonable views as it drifted about in a clearing in the hedgerow.  It was a sleep for most of the time but it did raise its head on a number of occasions showing its distinctive bill pattern.

I returned with Tim to the car park and then drove to the north arm where I had some lunch and found a female Scaup and the Black-necked Grebe.

I returned to the centre and after a quick look on lagoon one where I saw a single Goosander I walked to shoveler hide on lagoon three.  As I walked towards redshank hide there we quite a few birds feeding in the trees and hedgerow close to the large meadow and I found another Lesser Redpoll and three Siskin.
As I entered shoveler hide other birders informed me that a Jack Snipe was showing and it performed rather well over the next hour or so.  There had also been a Little Gull briefly close to the hide.  I started to scan the distant wildfowl and picked up the first-winter Little Gull feeding at the back of the lagoon and also found the female Red-crested Pochard.  There were at least four Snipe and two Green Sandpipers and three Redshanks close to the hide.  Steve and Dave had come into the hide and whilst Steve saw the Jack Snipe straight away Dave had to wait quite a while before it showed rather well again.  A Water Rail also showed rather well.

Dave and I eventually joined Steve in dunlin hide on lagoon four for the gulls but after about thirty minutes we had only been able to find two Yellow-legged Gulls.  Matthew then came into the hide and picked up a second-winter Caspian and first-winter Mediterranean Gull immediately.  We eventually found three second-winter, a third –winter and two adult Caspian Gulls.

As I walked back to the car park Dave picked up a Barn Owl, which was a fitting end to a superb day’s birding with eight-two species recorded.




No comments:

Post a Comment