Friday 9 November 2012

Cley & Salthouse, Norfolk - October 24, 2012


I went to the old coast guard station car park this morning first as the fog wasn’t too bad and I was hoping for some movement on the sea.  However it was relatively quiet although I did see six Eider, seven Red-breasted Mergansers and two Little Gulls.  There were still plenty of thrushes in evidence and I saw more only Golden Plovers of the week on the eye field.

After a coffee back at the cottage I walked up Cross Street in Salthouse where a Hawfinch had been reported.  There was no sign of the Hawfinch but I did find two Black Redstarts and there were plenty of thrushes, particularly Blackbirds.

During the afternoon visit I went to Gramborough Hill first and saw a male Snow Bunting on the first pool from the car park.  As I walked back with another birder over the top of the hill I saw a bird drop in that I thought was a Woodcock.  We walked to where it had landed and flushed it from the grass, not seeing it until it flew.  We continued walking towards the Little Eye and had some excellent views of a Shore Lark, although there was no sign of two Lapland Buntings seen a few minutes before we arrived.


During the afternoon I had gone on a seal trip to Blakeney Point with Clia and Paul.

The boat trip lasted about an hour and we saw plenty of Grey Seals and a couple of Common Seals during the trip.  There was also at least a 1000 Brent Geese, six Eider and four Red-breasted Mergansers and also several Gannets.


Common Seal pup


Male Grey Seals

No comments:

Post a Comment