Wednesday 25 April 2018

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - April 24, 2018


The weather forecast for today wasn't good with rain expected around mid-morning and so I left early to try and get a few hours in before it arrived.  I didn’t see a great deal as I made my way to Eyebrook Reservoir and there was still no sign of the Little Owl in the old oak with my last sighting and only sighting this year being on January 24th.  I stopped briefly at the bridge, but it was very quiet with just a single Blackcap being heard.  The water level had dropped slightly and there was a small area of mud at the inlet but there was no sign of any waders and so I moved further along where I found two Little Egrets on the Leicestershire bank and then saw two more in flight towards the island.  There were seven Common Terns over the water along with a few hirundine, mainly Sand Martin but also a few Barn Swallows and a single Common House Martin.  A Red Kite was observed towards the plantation but with nothing else I moved on to the Egleton car park at Rutland Water.

It was still dry when I arrived in the car park and I headed for the northern lagoons.  I stopped briefly at the feeding station where I saw a female Brambling before continuing along the path to the lagoons.  There wasn’t a great deal of song, but I did hear several Common Chiffchaff and Blackcap, a single Willow Warbler and my first Garden Warbler of the year but I was unable to locate it.  I met Stephen, who was coming back from the lagoons before he commenced his volunteer duties, who informed me that he had seen Common Ringed Plover and Dunlin on Lagoon Four. As I continued along the Winter Trail I saw a Red Kite to the northwest and on reaching the gate at the end of the Winter Trail I decided to head for Plover Hide on Lagoon Four.  I met Steve and Terry who were heading for Sandpiper Hide and after a brief chat I continued onto the hide, hearing a couple of Sedge Warbler and the Common Nightingale near Bittern Hide.

When I entered the hide three other birders were also present but two left almost immediately and I was able to view the lagoon from the left-hand side of the hide.  I soon found several Common Ringed Plover on the exposed rocky area, along with several Dunlin and eventually managed to count twenty-four Common Ringed Plover and eight Dunlin.  As I scanned around the lagoon a Black-tailed Godwit flew into the view of the scope and trying to follow it I lost it and couldn’t find it again.  There were seven Eurasian Oystercatcher and at least four Common Redshank on the lagoon and there was a male Western Osprey on one of the perches.  I then found a Common Sandpiper bathing near island three, which was then joined by a second.  There were eight Common Shelduck scattered around the lagoon, but I could just find a single pair of Eurasian Wigeon.

I eventually moved onto Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three where there were four Common Pochard just in front of the hide, the second-summer Mediterranean Gull was still amongst the breeding Black-headed Gulls and there were six Common Terns over the water.  Steve had told me that Terry had seen a couple of Common Swift earlier but there was no sign but with plenty of hirundine visible over South Arm Three I moved onto Lapwing Hide.

There were sixteen Common Tern feeding over the arm but there was still no sign of any Common Swift and so I went back to Dunlin Hide on Lagoon Four hearing a Eurasian Reed Warbler as I did so.

From Dunlin Hide I only saw much of what I had seen from Plover Hide, although there were nineteen Common Terns resting on the end of the spit on island ten.  As it started to rain I decided to go to Sandpiper Hide, hearing a Lesser Whitethroat as I walked up the slope to the hide.  Again, I saw nothing new and eventually headed back to the centre in some light rain.  I managed to get a brief view of a Blackcap on the way back but there was still no sign of the Garden Warbler.

When I entered the centre Stephen had been watching a Common Sandpiper, but it had disappeared and all I saw before going for my lunch was a pair of Common Pochard.


After lunch I went back into the centre with Steve and Terry when there were two male and a female Common Pochard and a larger number of hirundine.  They were mainly Sand Martin but there was also good numbers of Barn Swallow and a few Common House Martin.  As I continued looking through them I picked up a single Common Swift that was quite distant but eventually we had eleven briefly over the lagoon.


Terry went off to the Wet Meadow and shortly afterwards I decided to go back to the northern lagoons.  I checked the feeders again and found a male and a female Brambling, with the male beginning to look rather smart although it was still someway off from being in full breeding plumage.

I had noticed that there was considerably more activity over South Arm Three than when I visited earlier and so I checked Lagoon Three from Shoveler Hide to see if there was any increased activity.  The Mediterranean Gull was still amongst the Black-headed Gulls but there was very little happening over the lagoon and so I moved onto Lapwing Hide to view Lagoon Three.

When I reached the hide, there was a fishing boat in the left-hand corner and most birds had moved but there were still two groups feeding over the water.  Most were Black-headed Gulls with just a few Common Terns scattered amongst them and nothing unusual.

The rain was now steady and so I went to Sandpiper Hide on Lagoon Four where there were still plenty of Common Ringed Plover and Dunlin and I managed to count eleven Dunlin, which was an increase on this morning.  Terry joined me in the hide and it wasn’t too long afterwards that Steve, who was in Dunlin Hide, called to say that there was a Little Ringed Plover on the end of island seven.  I scoped the end and found the bird feeding along the shoreline but as Terry was about to look it ran out of sight.  Fortunately, it soon returned and even raised its wings to reveal there was no wing-bar, making the identity easier.  Lloyd then joined us in the hide but other than seeing one of the Common Sandpipers again we didn’t have anything else new, although seeing a Red Kite in flight in heavy rain was a little unusual.

I eventually made my way back to the car park and with the rain still persistent and heavy I called it a day and headed off home.  Despite the weather it hadn’t been a bad day with seventy-eight species recorded, two of which, Common Swift and Garden Warbler were new for the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment