Monday 23 April 2018

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - April 17, 2018


I was helping with the summer wildfowl count at Rutland Water today but headed for Eyebrook Reservoir first, hoping there might be some migrants in evidence.  As I passed Wistow Pool there were two Little Egrets roosting in a tree, but I hadn’t seen a great deal else as I turned onto the northern approach road to the reservoir.

The water was still very high, although there was a suggestion of some mud starting to appear around the inlet.  Three Little Egrets were observed along the Leicestershire shore and a Common Kestrel was observed along the Rutland bank but there was very little else and so I continued onto Rutland Water to to begin the count.

As usual I was assigned to count South Arm Three and Lagoon One and after parking at the bottom of Lyndon Road, I heard a Lesser Whitethroat but was unable to locate it.  I walked towards the Old Hall to check the bay on the other side of a small cops but found very little in the bay with just a couple of Mallard and Eurasian Teal.  An Egyptian Goose flew in and two Mute Swan were visible further out, but I was soon making my way back towards the cattle grid to count the rest of the arm.  I took shelter from the now fresh southerly wind behind the small copse, which enabled me to count the south shore from Goldeneye Hide to Brown’s Island.  There wasn’t a great deal, just a few Greylag Geese and Tufted Ducks and several Great Crested Grebe.  As I walked out towards the point to count the rest of the arm the wind was making it almost impossible to use the scope, and so I decided to go to Lapwing Hide on the Egleton Reserve to complete it.

I parked in the Egleton car park and then walked towards the northern lagoons and Lapwing Hide.  I saw a Willow Warbler and Blackcap and heard several more of both species and I also heard my second Lesser Whitethroat of the day and several Common Chiffchaff.

As I had hoped I was able to shelter from the wind in the hide but all I could find were several more Tufted Duck and two Common Goldeneye.  I called Steve before leaving the hide and found he and Terry were counting Lagoon Four from Plover Hide.  He informed me that both the American Wigeon and Bar-tailed Godwit were visible from the hide and so I took a break from counting and went to Plover Hide.

When I arrived Steve and Terry were still there, and the Bar-tailed Godwit was on the end of island two but the American Wigeon had disappeared.  After a brief search I left the hide with Steve and Terry and started to walk back to count Lagoon One.  As we approached the gate to Shoveler Hide a Lesser Whitethroat sand and after Steve located it we all had nice views before it disappeared.  Steve and Terry continued onto Shoveler Hide to continue their count and I made my way back to the Birdwatching Centre to start the count on Lagoon One.  As I approached the Badger Hide I heard yet another Lesser Whitethroat and possibly my forth of the day.

There were eight Common Shelduck, a Northern Pintail and five Common Pochard on the lagoon and six Common Terns were quartering over the water, which were my first of the year.  After completing the count, I called Tim, who asked if I would count the Wet Meadow and so I went to Snipe Hide, seeing a couple of Common Chiffchaff as I reached the end of the wooded area behind Lagoon One.

There were another four Common Shelduck and a pair of Northern Pintail on the flashes and I heard a Eurasian Curlew calling several times but didn’t see it and suspect it was on Lagoon Five.

Steve had called me to inform me that there was a possible Lesser Scaup on Lagoon One.  Apparently, the bird was right at the back of the lagoon and asleep most of the time and although Steve was sure it was a scaup of some kind he hadn’t seen it sufficiently well to be certain as to what it was.

After lunch I went to the viewing area to try and locate the unidentified scaup but could only find Tufted Ducks and when Steve joined me he was unable to relocate it and presumably it had flown off or gone out of sight behind and island or into some vegetation.

With little else I went to Dunlin Hide on Lagoon Four seeing both a Common Chiffchaff and a Blackcap in the area around the Badger Hide and a Willow Warbler as I neared the end of the Winter Trail.  When I reached the hide, there were other birders in the hide, but they hadn’t seen the American Wigeon.  Another group of birders then arrived and after the first group had departed one of them found the American Wigeon, which was in the southwest corner.  I pointed out the Bar-tailed Godwit to them and alerted then to three Western Yellow Wagtails flying over.  There was also a Pied Avocet, six Common Ringed Plover and six Dunlin on the lagoon but other than a few more Common Shelduck little else and I moved onto Shoveler Hide.

All I could find of note from Shoveler Hide were a pair of Common Pochard, a Little Grebe and the second-summer Mediterranean Gull.  After sitting in the hide for a while I decided to go to the Lyndon Reserve before coming back to the VTC for a recorder’s meeting.

When I arrived, the centre was still open and so I spent a few minutes observing the feeders and was rewarded with eight Eurasian Tree Sparrows and a female Brambling.  From the centre I went to Teal Hide where I could see one of the Western Ospreys on the nest and found a pair of Eurasian Oystercatcher below Lax Hill.  I scanned the water towards Manton Bay and eventually found the Great Northern Diver before I went back to the VTC.



No comments:

Post a Comment