Monday 23 April 2018

A brief visit to Thornton Reservoir, Leicestershire - April 18, 2018


A Ring Ouzel had been found yesterday in some horse paddocks below the dam at Thornton Reservoir and had been reported again today.  I was scheduled to pick my youngest granddaughter up from an after-school activity and decided to go and try and see the Ring Ouzel before doing so.

I parked in the public car park and walked almost the length of the dam before reaching the area overlooking the horse paddocks.  As I approached the area I could see two birds in the smaller paddock, one being a Mistle Thrush and the other either the Ring Ouzel or a Common Blackbird.  I stopped and raised the bins and was able to confirm that it was the ouzel but as I walked further along to join two otter birders it flew and circled before landing on the fence briefly and then disappearing into the hedge at the back of the larger paddock.  We then saw it on several occasions on the edge of the larger paddock, where it was chased by a Common Blackbird, but quickly emerged again.  A couple of youths on motor bikes then went down the road and one of the bikes backfired, which flushed everything in the paddocks and it was some time before the ouzel showed again but then it was seen rather well.

I saw a single Sand Martin as I walked along the footpath and a Blackcap could be heard singing whilst looking over the paddocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment