Friday 22 December 2017

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - December 21, 2017


When I left home this morning it was misty, but the mist became fog at times and was quite dense on the high points of the journey.  Approaching Rutland Water, it became misty again but when I pulled up at the end of the unnamed road it was quite thick again.  I couldn’t see the north shore and when I walked down towards the end of the spit it cleared a little and I could see partially into the southern bay.  I was hoping that yesterday’s Bewick’s Swan, which was the only record for the counties this year, would still be present.  I could see quite a few swans with some resting but all those identified were Mute Swans.  The mist came and went and at one point it became quite frustrating as I could see Burley House but not the north shore of the reservoir as the mist appeared to be hanging just above the water.  I was eventually satisfied that all the swans in view were Mute and that the Bewick’s Swan had either gone or moved elsewhere the reservoir.

The mist eventually cleared sufficiently for me to see as far as Dickinson’s Bay, but the Black-necked Grebe was also proving elusive and all I saw of note were the two Barnacle Geese, six Pintail, four Pochard and a couple of Redshank.  As I continued to look for the Black-necked Grebe I did see a couple of Dunlin in flight amongst a flock of Lapwing and two Goosander in the fishponds, but I eventually called it a day and headed for the Egleton Reserve.

As I was leaving David arrived and I briefed him on what I had seen, and he then went to look for the Black-necked Grebe, ringing me later to say he had found it just beyond Dickinson’s Bay.

I checked out the feeders near the Egleton centre and although there was a fair bit of activity there was nothing of note and I went into the centre.  The lagoon was now almost unfrozen and there were quite a few birds.  I counted fifty-four Pintail along with sixteen Goosander and there were nine Golden Plover and two Snipe on the long island.  A pair of Stonechat performed well in front of the viewing area and when I scanned Lagoon Two I found two Great White Egret and a Little Egret and there were also two more Goosander.

From the centre I headed for the northern lagoons seeing a Treecreeper just beyond the ringing area and a Red Kite just west of the big meadow.  I called in Grebe Hide on Lagoon Two where there were plenty of birds but nothing of note.  I could see that Lapwing Hide had now been dismantled and hopefully it won’t be too long before work is started on its reconstruction.

I moved onto Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three and on entering the hide two other birders pointed out a Grey Wagtail.  There was another twelve Pintail and two drake Goosander on the water and a single Snipe was observed on the edge of the reedbed.

A brief visit to Sandpiper Hide on Lagoon Four produced very little with just several flocks of Wigeon feeding mainly around the bund and a visit into Osprey Hide to look for a Marsh Harrier proved unsuccessful.

When I got back to the centre I saw a Marsh Tit at the feeders before I joined Brian, Roger and Rosie in the viewing area.  There were fewer birds on the lagoon and nothing new, although the two Great White Egrets and three Little Egrets were standing with a Grey Heron on the left-hand side of the lagoon.

I went for my lunch and then drove to the Lyndon Reserve and although the feeders were full there were still no Tree Sparrows visiting, although there were plenty of Blue and Great Tits and a single Coal Tit.  I walked down to Teal Hide and found Brian, Roger and Rosie already in the hide but there were fewer birds than on Tuesday, although I did find a single female/immature Scaup.  There was very little close to Lax Hill as volunteers were involved in carryout some habitat maintenance.  The light was awful from here and it was difficult seeing anything at long range, but I did eventually locate nine Red-crested Pochard before I departed for Eyebrook Reservoir.

When I got to the northern coral, Brian, Roger and Rosie were already there and had counted ninety-two Golden Plover and fifteen Dunlin and had seen two Redshank.  I counted the Dunlin and also had fifteen, but I could only find one Redshank and didn’t bother to count the Golden Plover.  Brian found a single Stonechat and they left for the island coral shortly afterwards to check out the gulls.  I remained a little longer seeing two Shelduck and nine Pintail but then headed for the island coral.

I looked in the bay to the north of the island for three drake Smew that had been seen but couldn’t find them and so continued onto the coral, which I found was full, and so went onto view the gulls from the south section of road.  Phil was already in position but hadn’t seen the first-winter Glaucous Gull or anything else amongst the now sizeable flock of gulls.  I then received a message from Roger saying there was a second-winter Mediterranean Gull, but Phil and I hadn’t found it when another message saying it had flown off north arrived.  With the light beginning to fade and still no sign of the Glaucous Gull I went back to the island for another look for the Smew.  There was still no sign, so I went down to the style and found two males and two red-heads and a small flock of Pochard.

A quick check at the inlet for the Mediterranean Gull produced nothing and after a coffee I headed off home.

No comments:

Post a Comment