Sunday 10 December 2017

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - December 5, 2017

It was quite dull and overcast when I left home and headed for Eyebrook Reservoir and other Red Kites near Stonton Wyville and over Blaston I hadn’t seen a great deal else as I turned onto the northern approach road to the reservoir.


There was no sign of a Little Owl today, so I continued onto the northern coral seeing eleven Red-legged Partridge on the road before parking.  When I entered the coral, there was a Kestrel hunting just to the right but there appeared to fewer birds around the inlet.  I soon found the Ruff that has been present for a while now and I counted forty-eight Dunlin feeding amongst the Lapwing and gulls.  There were good numbers of wildfowl to the right of the coral that included three Shelduck and twenty-eight Pochard.  As I continued to scan I noticed another wader, which turned out to be a Snipe, a species that appears quite scarce locally at present.  I left the coral and headed for the bridge but with nothing of note I was soon on my way to the Lyndon Reserve at Rutland Water.

Just after passing through Manton Steve called to see if I was on site and to say that he and Terry had been surprised as they hadn’t seen a Great White Egrets but had seen the female Common Scoter in the North Arm and the Red-necked Grebe in South Arm Three.

I drove down to the car park and spent a few minutes talking to another birder seeing a Goldcrest and a Treecreeper just to the left of the centre.  I headed for Teal Hide checking the feeders, which were now full, but there was only Blue Tits and a single Chaffinch.

When I entered the hide I scanned the far shore and like Steve and Terry found there were no Great White Egrets.  I did find three Little Egrets near Heron Bay and there was a Shelduck and seven Pintail near the Lax Hill shoreline.  I picked up a party of fourteen Dunlin flying over the water, but they seemed reluctant to land and disappeared.  I scanned South Arm Three and found the Red-necked Grebe towards the norther shore but with nothing else of note I decided to go to Wader Scrape Hide to view Manton Bay.

Again, there was very little on the feeders, but I did find four Lesser Redpoll as I started to walk along the path to the hide.


Lesser Redpoll


Lesser Redpoll

After observing and taking a few shots of the redpoll, I continued along the track but other than a few Fieldfare and Redwing hadn’t seen a great deal else as I entered the hide.  There was a Great White Egret on the far shore, which was then joined by a second and I found five Black-tailed Godwits feeding in the water closer to the bridge.  There were seven Pintail and nine Pochard in the bay, along with small numbers of Gadwall, Teal, Mallard, Tufted Duck and Goldeneye.  I informed Steve that there were still at least two Great White Egrets present but it does look as though there has been a bit of a clear out.

I called in Tufted Duck Hide on my way back where a Green Sandpiper flew by but landed out of sight.  As I left the hide a Great Spotted Woodpecker flew over and just after Deep Water Hide I heard a Green Woodpecker, which then flew over.

I stopped and observed the feeders for a while when I got back to the centre and although there were now a few more birds there was still not a great variety and certainly no Tree Sparrows.  Steve and Terry came into the car park as I was getting ready to leave and after a quick chat and seeing a Red Kite I headed for the North Arm.  There was another Red Kite as I approached the main road and yet another as I approached Manton and a Kestrel as I approached the unnamed road.

I stopped to observe Tim’s feeders where I saw both Coal and Marsh Tits before parking at the far end of the road.  There were three Barnacle Geese amongst a small flock of Canada Geese on the north shore and fourteen Dunlin on the spit.  Five Pintail were along the north shore and I counted another sixty-one in the southern bay.  Four Redshank flew past the spit and landed in the corner of the bay where I found a fifth bird.  As I scanned the south shore there was a Great White Egret and there was a good number of Goldeneye scattered around the arm, but I couldn’t locate the Common Scoter that Steve and Terry had seen earlier.

The wind had freshened quite a bit and I was beginning to feel quite cold and so went to the Egleton car park where I had my lunch.  Steve and Terry arrived but I left them having their lunch and went to view the feeders at the centre.  There were plenty of birds at the feeding station including, a Pheasant, a Moorhen, several Blue and Great Tits, a Robin, a Dunnock, several Chaffinch and a Greenfinch.

Once in the viewing area I found three Curlew on the long island a Great White Egret at the back of the lagoon and three Little Egrets.  There was also a party of Goosander in the far left-hand corner of the lagoon.  Terry then joined me, and I made him aware of the Curlew, which were now playing hide-and-seek, with one looking slightly smaller but then everything flew, and we were able to see that there were just three Curlew.  Steve then joined us when we eventually had twenty-one Goosander, including seven males.  I then picked up the female Marsh Harrier, which was over the Goosanders and was clearly showing an interest.  It suddenly dropped and by its actions it had clearly caught something.  It was laying on the water with its wings outstretched and we could see the tail of a duck it had taken and appeared to be holding under the water.  At one point I could see what I thought was a white speculum and considered the captured bird to be a Gadwall.  It continued holding the bird under the water and after a while tried lifting it out of the water by the neck, when it appeared grebe-like but then dropped it back onto the water.  At this stage the captured bird hadn’t been seen struggling and we assumed it was dead but after attempting to lift out the water again it dropped it back into the water and we could see that it was a Gadwall, which then started to swim slowly away.  The harrier dropped on it again and for the third time tried to lift it out of the water but then dropped it again and the Gadwall then continued swimming towards the shore.  We lost the Gadwall as it went into the far corner and although the harrier did show some further interest it wasn’t seen to attempt to take the Gadwall again and after sitting in a tree for a while disappeared.  Before we departed to the northern lagoons I counted thirty-nine Pintail on the lagoon and there were also six Shelduck.

We moved off to the northern lagoon and called at Grebe Hide on Lagoon Two where we found the American Wigeon.  There was also a pair of Stonechat feeding just in front of the hide and I had a Great Spotted Woodpecker fly over before we moved onto Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three.

There were nineteen Red-crested Pochard on Lagoon Three along with eleven more Pintail and four Curlew flew in before Terry and I went to Crake Hide where we saw a single Water Rail before going onto Lapwing Hide.  Most of the birds in South Arm Three were a considerable distance away from the hide, with a large concertation around Gadwall Hide and so we headed for Dunlin Hide.

As we walked back along the path I picked up another Great Spotted Woodpecker in flight and this time I was able to get Terry on to it.  We met Steve as we approached Dunlin Hide who had heard a Little Owl but had been unable to find it.  Terry decided he would call it a day whist Steve and I went into the hide.  We had seen c.700 Golden Plover over Lagoon Four earlier and most were now on the islands at the far side of the lagoon, along with probably even more Lapwing.  There were plenty of Great Black-backed Gulls near island one, along with small numbers of Black-headed, Common and Herring Gulls.

I eventually headed back to the centre hoping to catch up with the Barn Owl again.  As I opened the flap in the viewing area the Barn Owl was quartering the area to the left but then flew directly in front of the centre and continued on towards Mallard Hide before disappearing.  There were now four Curlew on the long island and these were joined by two more before I called it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment