Friday 22 December 2017

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - December 19, 2017


The forecast last night was for early morning fog, but it was clear but overcast when I left home as dawn was beginning to break and consequently I had seen very little as I drove down the unnamed road to the North Arm at Rutland Water.  After parking I viewed the fishponds but found most of the water was frozen over and the only birds I saw were four Egyptian Geese in flight.  I could see three male and two female Goosander just on the other side of the bund in the North Arm.

I went through the gate and walked out towards the spit and found a third female Goosander and the two Barnacle Geese were on the north shore and a single Little Egret on the bund.  A Black-necked Grebe had been reported several times since last Thursday, including yesterday, and I was hoping I would find it.  I scanned the area east of the spit several times but couldn’t find the grebe, but I did count eleven Pintail, which is far fewer than of late, another Little Egret and a Redshank.  I called Steve expecting him to be on site, but he had decided not to come as Terry was away and his recent experience following the poor weather hadn’t inspired him to make another visit before Christmas.  I also called Roger Brett to see where they had seen the grebe yesterday and wasn’t surprised when he described where it was, but it wasn’t there this morning.

Malcolm then called to see where I was and was disappointed that I hadn’t found the grebe as he was just leaving home hoping to see it.  After finishing the call with Malcolm, I started to look for the grebe again and found what I thought might be it just of the spit near Dickinson’s Bay.  It was swimming away and then dived and was some time before it reappeared, when I got a better view and could see it was the Black-necked Grebe.
Another male Goosander had flown over and I then noticed that the six I had seen earlier were now in the southern corner of the bund.  I went back to the car to get the camera and then went into the shelter to take some photos.


Two male & female Goosander


Male Goosander


Female Goosander


Male & female Goosander

After getting a few photos, I went back towards the spit, when a Grey Wagtail flew over and I found a second Redshank on the north shore before heading back to the car.
As I reached the gate Malcolm arrived, so I went back down to the spit to help him find the Black-necked Grebe, seeing a Nuthatch as we did so.  I had indicated where I had found the grebe and he found it again before I got my scope up to start scanning, so we didn’t stay much longer having agreed to go to the Egleton car park.  I stopped briefly at Tim's feeders, seeing a Coal Tit, two Marsh Tits and two Nuthatches before continuing to the car park and seeing a Red Kite over the village.
We went down to the feeding station as a Brambling had been reported yesterday and we were hoping it might appear.  There was a bit of activity with plenty of Blue and Great Tits making regular visits, along with several Chaffinch and Greenfinch and there was also Pheasant, Moorhen, Blackbird, Robin and Dunnock feeding on the ground.
With no sign of the Brambling we went into the centre finding that Lagoon One was frozen completely.  Lagoon Two was also similar with just a small area free of ice, where there were a few birds but nothing of note.
We agreed to go to the Lyndon Reserve next but had another ten minutes at the feeders first.  There was still plenty of activity but still no sign of the Brambling, but a Marsh Tit was visiting frequently.


Marsh Tit


Marsh Tit


Marsh Tit


Dunnock


Chaffinch


Song Thrush in the Egleton meadows

As I entered the car park at Lyndon a Great Spotted Woodpecker flew from the nearest tree and a single Fieldfare was also observed.  As pulled up I was surprised to see just how many birds were on the water and realised they would take some time to go through.  Malcolm arrived just afterwards, and we walked towards Teal Hide to view the feeders but found they were empty and so continued onto Teal Hide.

When we opened the flaps of the hide we realised just how many birds there were in South Arm Two and in front and to the east of the hide.  I certainly wouldn't have wanted to count them as there must have been somewhere in the region of five thousand birds.  Most were Tufted Duck and Coot but there were also good numbers of Wigeon and smaller numbers of Gadwall, Teal and Mallard.  As we scanned through the birds I counted ten Pochard and I then found a female/immature Scaup and Malcolm then found a male and another female/immature.  There were also good numbers of Goldeneye with some quite close to the hide and I found two male and two female Goosander close to the Heron Bay bund where there was also a Little Egret.


Drake Goldeneye


First-year Goldeneye


Drake Pochard

I had seen a Dunlin on the shore near Goldeneye Hide at the base of Lax Hill and then saw circa fifteen in flight towards the Old Hall.  There was a single Great White Egret feeding between Gadwall and Fieldfare Hides and there were at least twenty-eight Pintail between Goldeneye Hide and the northern end of Brown’s Island where I also counted seventeen Red-crested Pochard.  As I continued to scan towards the Old Hall I found the Red-necked Grebe and provided directions to Malcom, but the views were rather distant.
Our plan was to go to Eyebrook Reservoir this afternoon but after some lunch we felt it was still too early and decided to walk to Wader Scrape Hide to view Manton Bay.  We saw very little on route and as we approached the hide I suddenly thought I had left my camera on view on the front seat of the car and so after a quick scan and a count of the Pintail, of which there were seventeen, I rushed back to the car park and left Malcolm in the hide.
When I got back after a quick walk and even a short run I opened the boot and found that the camera was not in view and I needn’t have worried.  Paul was at the centre and after a chat he went to fill the feeders and I went and looked out across the meadow and was surprised to see that some birds were interested even as he filled the feeders.  I then saw a bird fly into the tree near the shore and thought that might be a Chiffchaff, but it was just a silhouette and couldn’t be sure, but it then dropped out of the tree into some grasses on the edge of the field and I was able to confirm my initial identification.
Malcolm returned shortly afterwards having seen a few Dunlin and a Buzzard from Wader Scrape Hide but we were unable to relocate the Chiffchaff.
We left the Lyndon Reserve and headed for Eyebrook Reservoir, I approached he reservoir from the north but there was no sign of any Little Owls in the old oak.  I parked near the northern coral to view the inlet, which is where the Jack Snipe had been yesterday.  Malcolm joined me in the coral and we started to search for the Jack Snipe and found at least five Snipe feeding along the Rutland bank, but a low flying aircraft caused some disturbance and we struggled to find many Snipe afterwards and certainly no Jack Snipe.  There was a Little Egret in the stream, four Dunlin near the mouth of the stream and a Ruff and a Redshank along the Rutland shore and I found a second Redshank feeding on the Leicestershire shore towards Holyoaks.  Ken joined us and as we were chatting a Peregrine flew over and caused some disturbance with the Dunlin and Lapwing flying off and they hadn’t returned when we headed for the island coral.
As we approached the island coral the sun was out again and so Malcolm and I drove further around to view the gulls from the southern shore.  There was already a good number of gulls on the water that included Black-headed, Common, Herring and Great Black-backed but there was no sign of the Glaucous Gull.  I saw what I thought was a Green Woodpecker fly behind a tree and a few seconds later it flew again and headed towards the fishing lodge.  Ken and Phil then joined us and shortly afterwards Daz arrived but there was still no sign of the Glaucous.  A Red Kite and a Kestrel were observed as we watched the gull numbers slowly increase.  Phil then announced that he had the first-winter Glaucous Gull and gave us an indication as to where it was.  It was a rather small bird being smaller then some of the Herring Gulls but showed a classic first-winter bill pattern and short primary extension.
It was turning quite cold now and so Malcolm and I decided to go and look for a pair of Smew before we departed.  We drove back to the railing on the north side of the island where Ken had seen the birds earlier.  We had just found the red-head when Erik called to say I had driven past the Glaucous Gull.  He was in the hide and had seen me go by and thought I hadn’t seen the gull but also indicated that the male Smew was now up by the fishing lodge, so we called it a day.













No comments:

Post a Comment