Monday 8 May 2017

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - April 25, 2017

This was my first day out after returning from a two-week holiday with the family in Orlando, Florida, USA.  It was a bit of sock having been walking around in shorts and t-shirts for the last two weeks and having to wrap-up with several layers to keep out the cold.  It was bright and sunny when I left home but feeling cold after an overnight frost but I was fairly optimistic in catching up with a few migrants that had arrived during my holiday.

As I approached Slawston I had a Whitethroat, which was my first year-tick but I had seen little else by the time I reached the turning at the southern end to Eyebrook Reservoir.


There were three Little Egrets feeding in the southwest corner of the reservoir and I then had a party of House Martins feeding over the road as I moved around the reservoir, which was the second year-tick.  I stopped briefly at one of the tracks running away to the west and had another Whitethroat and from the road bridge there was another Little Egret and I heard Willow Warbler, Blackcap and Tree Sparrow.

I moved onto view the inlet where there is now a small area of mud and found a couple of Little Ringed Plovers and there were several Common Terns between the inlet and the tern rafts, which was another year-tick.  Several other terns could be seen much further down the reservoir and so I moved to the Stoke Dry car park to get a better view but I could only find more Common Terns and not the hoped for Arctic Terns.

Steve had called to say that there was a Nightingale singing near Bittern Hide at Rutland Water and so I left Eyebrook Reservoir and headed for the Egleton car park at Rutland Water.  As I pulled up Steve called again to say that there was a male Redstart singing near the Volunteer Centre and so I went around to try and locate it.  After parking in the centre car park, I spent forty minutes searching for the Redstart without any luck but I did see a female Stonechat, which is a good bird during April.

Having had no luck with the Redstart I went back to the Egleton car park seeing a Chiffchaff and a Great Spotted Woodpecker before checking in at the visitor’s centre and setting off for Bittern Hide.  There was a Willow Warbler near the badger hide and I was surprised, considering the chilly wind, to find a freshly emerged Speckled Wood along the Summer Trail.  However, as I continued along the trail I found another Speckled Wood, two Orange Tip and a Green-veined White.


Speckled Wood


Orange Tip


Orange Tip

As I approached Bittern Hide the Nightingale was quiet and so I went into Plover Hide to view Lagoon Four.  There appeared to be very little on the lagoon but I did find a pair of Pintail, two Oystercatchers, a Little Ringed Plover and a Redshank.

I went into Bittern Hide for a while but the Nightingale remained quiet and I moved onto Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three.  The water level on Lagoon Three is very high and it wasn’t surprising to find far fewer birds in evidence than of late.  There were two Oystercatchers to the left of the hide and a couple of Pochard on the water.  Steve then sent a text saying there was a Black Tern amongst a party of Common Terns near Goldeneye Hide and so I made my way to Lapwing Wide to view the south arm.

Once in Lapwing Hide I soon found the terns feeding off Goldeneye Hide and eventually found the Black tern amongst them, although they were all very distant.  As I was watching them they gradually came a little closer to give better views but remained quite distant.

I called at Sandpiper Hide on Lagoon Four but other than finding another pair of Oystercatchers and a Red Kite I saw nothing else of note and returned to the car park for lunch.

After lunch, I went to the centre viewing area to view Lagoon One where I saw one of my only two Little Egrets and another pair of Oystercatchers before heading off towards the southern lagoons.

The weather was beginning to take a turn for the worse with several showers visible, particularly to the north.  A Sparrowhawk flew over and headed off over Lagoon Five as I made my way to Snipe Hide.  When I reached the hide on the Wet Meadow I found the water level had risen on the flash and there were just a few birds, the best being a single Shelduck and a single Oystercatcher was feeding to the left of the flash.


Pheasant on the Wet Meadow

As I approached the turn to Harrier Hide I saw a couple of Sedge Warblers but other than another two Shelduck and an Oystercatcher on the Wet Meadow saw nothing of note from the hide.  I had heard several Garden Warblers but had been unable to see any of them but a patient wait at the end of the path from Harrier Hide produced brief views and I also saw a Willow Warbler.

A walk to Fieldfare Hide produced nothing but whilst in the hide the wind increased significantly and there was rather a volatile shower, which even disturbed several Greylag Geese.  When the storm cleared, I headed back to Tern Hide on Lagoon Six but again found very little with the highlight being my only Wigeon of the day.  I then went to Heron Hide to view the Manton Bay Ospreys and both birds were present and there was a single Redshank on Lagoon Eight.  There were more terns over South Arm Two but again they were all Common Terns and a flock of hirundines contained Sand Martins, Swallows and House Martins.

As I made my way back towards the 360 Hide another storm was approaching but thankfully I made it to the hide before it started raining again.  There were another two Oystercatchers and at least five Redshanks on the lagoon but again it was generally quiet.


Redshank on Lagoon Five

With the storm passing I made my way back to the centre seeing another Sedge Warbler and a Kestrel as I did so.  I called Steve whilst having a coffee but with things remaining very quiet I called it a day and headed off home.  As I approached Tugby on the A47 there had clearly been another heavy shower and the temperature warning came on in the vehicle, with the temperature dropping to two degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment