Wednesday 17 May 2017

A day at Rutland Water, Rutland - May 16, 2017

When I left home this morning there was a fresh south-west wind and it was overcast but felt quite warm.  I called at Newton Harcourt and spent forty-minute searching for Nuthatch and Spotted Flycatcher without success, although I was pretty sure I could hear a Spotted Flycatcher but was unable to locate it.

From Newton Harcourt, I continued onto Eyebrook Reservoir seeing very litter on route and wasn’t surprised the Little Owls were not showing in the old oak.  I stopped at the bridge where there was a Little Egret upstream and a Tree Sparrow on the feeders.  A Red Kite flew over the inlet stream and two more were observed over the Rutland fields.  There was a Willow Warbler and Garden Warbler singing from cover and I saw a Treecreeper before I drove around to the Rutland side to view the inlet.


As I got out of the car there was a Whitethroat singing but it remained elusive during my short stay.  I scanned the inlet and found a second Little Egret feeding along the Leicestershire side and at least eleven Common Terns were feeding over the reservoir.  With the weather being overcast and rather dreary I was surprised that there were no Swift or hirundines present.

From Eyebrook Reservoir I went to Rutland Water and had a Red Kite over the road when I reached Manton bridge and after parking I walked to the northern lagoons.  I went via the summer trail and heard Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Blackcap and Garden Warbler before reaching Sandpiper Hide.

When I entered the hide John Wright was present and was trying to get an idea of the parentage of an unusual duck, which he had seen yesterday and earlier today.  It had been resting near the terns in front of Sandpiper Hide but when John moved from Dunlin Hide to Sandpiper Hide to get a better view it had disappeared.  He pointed out that there was rather nice male Ruff, indicating where it was and suggesting that at a quick glance it could easily be mistaken for a Turnstone.  It had a black ruff and with some black also on the head and whitish underparts and the upperparts and some chestnut on the upperparts.  There had also been a report yesterday of a Spotted Redshank and John told me later that two other birders had claimed it today but they had been watching the Ruff, which is probably what happened yesterday.

As I scanned around the lagoon I found the unusual duck, which had bill recalling a Canvasback but the rest of the plumage didn’t recall any Aythya at all.  It was with a Wigeon and dabbling rather than diving and there was some resemblance to a Fulvous Whistling Duck and John also referred to the fact it had large feet and rather stout legs, which I didn’t see but would also support a whistling duck might be involved in it parentage at some stage.

One of the Avocets looked as though it was sitting on Island Seven again but this time on the top of the island and the second bird was observed feeding at the back of the lagoon.  There were several Oystercatchers and Ringed Plovers on the lagoon and there also a single Sanderling, three Dunlin and four Redshank and a second-year or female Bar-tailed Godwit and Curlew made a brief visit and at one point there were fifty-three Common Tern on the spit.  At least three distant Red Kites were observed and a Kestrel was harassed by a corvid as it flew over the lagoon.

From Sandpiper Hide I moved to Shoveler Hide where the water is still very high resulting in fewer birds.  There were a few Common Terns feeding over the water and two drake Pochard were observed amongst the more numerous Tufted Ducks,  I spent quite a while in the hide and had heard Little Grebes on several occasions and they eventually appeared out of the reeds, a Little Egret flew over and a Sparrowhawk was observed soaring before it plunged into the wood behind the reedbed.


Little Grebe


Common Tern


Common Tern


Common Tern

I eventually left the hide and started heading back to the car park for lunch but called at Grebe Hide on Lagoon Two, where the Ruddy Duck was on Saturday.  I saw a Garden Warbler near one of the Nightingale sites, which was silent this morning and from the hide there was another Little Grebe and a Reed Warbler but there was no sign of the Ruddy Duck.


Mistle Thursh in the Egleton Medows

After lunch, I went to the 360 Hide and heard Chiffchaff, Blackcap and Garden Warbler on route and saw a photographed a Chiffchaff.  Other than three Shelduck and five Redshank there was a great deal else on the lagoon but I did see an Osprey over Lagoon One.


Chiffchaff


Redshank

On reaching Pintail Hide, again there wasn’t a great deal with just a pair of Shelduck, a Little Egret, several Oystercatchers and a Redshank but I was forced to remain in the hide for around an hour whilst a band of rain passed through.


Cormorant over Lagoon Six


Canada Goose on Lagoon Six meadow


Little Egret on Lagoon Six


Coot on Lagoon Six meadow


Oystercatchers over Lagoon Six


Lapwing on Lagoon Six meadow


European Hare on Lagoon Six meadow

When the rain ceased, I called at Harrier and Snipe Hides but saw very little but did hear Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Blackcap, Garden Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat and Sedge Warbler and saw one of the Chiffchaffs as I made my way back to the car park and whilst the Lesser Whitethroat was very close it refused to show.

There was a threat of more rain and so after a coffee I made my home seeing a Kestrel close to Billesdon.

No comments:

Post a Comment